A Podcast about Windows PowerShell.
In This Episode
Today on the PowerScripting Podcast we talk to Brandon Shell, PowerShell MVP and great thinker.Â We’ve also got news, resources, and tips! Also, we are going to give away two Sapien Press books. Be sure to listen till the end to hear how to win!
Quest Software is offering Powerscripting Podcast listeners a free copy of Jeffery Hicks new book, Managing Active Directory with Windows PowerShell: TFM from Sapien Press.
Visit quest.com/powerscripting to register for your copy, before they run out. While youâ€™re there download their free graphical user interface, script editor and Active Directory commands.
- VMware’s future with PS Providers, “
- Jeff Hick’s eagerly awaited “Managing Active Directory with PowerShell TFM”Â is now available.
- Quest acquires NetPro, andÂ NetPro has PowerShell news!Â
Session 1: Saturday, September 27th , 2008 â€“ 1:00PM SL Time â€“ PST,4:00pm EST
- rfoust : ## why don’t you hang out in #powershell anymore???
- stuwee-3 : ## what about running scripts under different credentials?
- Kemis : ## I want to secure AD so my Domain Users can’t see other user’s names
- rfoust : ## still looking for a good “sudo” replacement for windows. Any ideas?
- rfoust : ## what’s the latest powershell script/project you’ve worked on?
- ## Â not a question but thank’s for the replication latency script! Â
- glnsize : ## what permisions are required to conduct these tests?
- rfoust : ## how much is posh usedÂ where you work? Â Are other admins catching on?
- seaJhawk : ## what tools do you use when you’re writing scripts
- Kemis : ## As an admin, how would I go about getting started writing my own cmdlets?
- rfoust : ## best poweshell book you’ve read?
- glnsize : ## which 3rd party has done the best job integrating powershell
- ustreamer-39627 : Sorry for the noob lesson. What exactly is a cmdlet? is that just a customscript which is complied into a “cmdlet” so it can just be called by typing the scriptname?Â
- glnsize : ## my env is small enough to use quest, but I still use ADSI b/c of 3rd party dependancy… Am I an idiot?
- Â rfoust : ## what do the unix admins think about posh
- rfoust : ## how would you explain to other admins what “object oriented” means
- glnsize : ## what superhero are you
- Â rfoust : ## have you used powershell with web services much?
- seaJhawk : ## do you plan to keep writing cmdlets when you can use script cmdlets?
- Kemis : ## I work for a college where the CIS dept. chair never heard of PowerShell till I called her to ask if they have any plans to teach it soon. Â How long do you think it’ll take before colleges begin to include Powershell as a course?
- ustreamer-7480 : ## How do you organize your scripts?
- rfoust : ## what hardware vendor would you like to see powershell support for? Â cisco? or something else?
Idera is offering a special price $79 per copy through the end of September…BUT for listeners of this podcast only, Idera will extend the offer until October 12, 2008. Â Don’t wait! Â Download your free trial and take advantage of this great offer today!
Admin Script Editor (which recently received Windows IT Pro’s top award) provides a true integrated scripting environment for PowerShell. The guys at iTripoli haven’t done a great job getting the word out about Admin Script Editor so to make up for it they are offering a 50% competitive discount. Go to adminscripteditor.com to find out if you qualify.
PowerShell Script: How to upload a file via HTTP POSTÂ - Thomas R. made this in answer to “how to pass a parameter to XMLHttp” which came up on the PowerShell newsgroup
- Carter ShanklinÂ posted the slides and demosÂ from the managing VMWare with PowerShell sessionÂ at VMWorld
- Mow’s put up his Robocopy part 4 article, this has the full script.
Two of you can win your choice of books from SAPIEN Press. To win, you need to write a review of our podcast. The review must be at least a full paragraph, no “<3″ entries please Â . Â We would prefer for you to post the review in iTunes because we get a lot of traffic that way, but if you don’t use iTunes, that’s ok. Â You can post your review on PodcastAlley or any other forum or your own blog.
To send in your entries, just let us know how your name appears in iTunes, or the URL of the review you have posted online. We’ll give away the books on Episode 44 (next week).