A Podcast about Windows PowerShell.
In This Episode
Today we have a rockin' roundtable which includes:
- Jeffrey Snover
- Don Jones
- Alex Riedel
- Kirk Munro
And of course we'll throw in our other usual goodies.
The news is brought to you by iTripoli.
- Sapien has announced a forthcoming forms editor called PrimalForms which will allow you to create forms, save them as XML and create PowerShell code. On top of that they are going to release it for free!
- Be sure to catch the UKÂ PowerShell UG: November 20th in Reading
- Dmitry will be presenting some PowerShell sessions atÂ Quest Connect on OctÂ 22nd-23rd.
- New software release onÂ IIS.net:Â Microsoft Web Deployment Tool - Beta 1 Go Live
- If you'd like to get an early peek at Richard Siddaway's new bookÂ PowerShell in Practice, you can do so on Manning's site.
- A Thousand Things 1% Better
- What's most important for a posh newbie to learn?
- JeffHicks : ## What do you see as the biggest obstacles to PowerShell adoption?
- "PowerShell isn't complete?"
- <Jay>Â noÂ adminÂ worthÂ hisÂ saltÂ isÂ goingÂ toÂ goÂ throughÂ andÂ updateÂ hundredsÂ ofÂ serversÂ withÂ yetÂ anotherÂ thingÂ toÂ patch,Â anotherÂ toÂ mantain,Â anotherÂ securityÂ toÂ worryÂ about,Â reboots,Â touchingÂ things,Â etc,Â justÂ toÂ beÂ ableÂ toÂ runÂ aÂ nonÂ completeÂ technologyÂ thatÂ theyÂ haven'tÂ learnedÂ yetÂ becauseÂ itÂ isÂ aÂ painÂ inÂ theÂ ass,Â andÂ oh,Â it'sÂ notÂ complete
- cartershanklin : ## Jeffrey, do you think user adoption of PS is faster or slower than you anticipated?
- Script vs. Shell
- Coolest use of PowerShell that you've seen--and what's to come.
- What third-party software is missing?
- Is PowerShell useful for <insert concept here>?
- e.g. cloud computing
- rfoust : ## what is the easiest way for non-developers to find .net methods to work with in powershell? Â searching msdn is a pain
- JeffHicks : ## Where will PowerShell be in 3-5 years?
- JeffHicks : ## What will MS take responsiblity for in PowerShell and what do they expect 3rd parties to support or add?
- rfoust : ## whats a good bridge for scripters wanting to convert scripts into real c# compiled cmdlets
- rfoust : ## do you see cmdlet naming conflicts becoming a problem in the future? Â not the namespace but the actual cmdlet name
- rfoust : ## do you see scripts running as a service anytime in the future?
- cartershanklin : ## script scheduling, same question.
- ye110wbeard : ## Can Powershell be used to email backup logs made in W2K8 Server backup?
- rfoust : ## is microsoft helping Pash devlopment any?
- JeffHicks : ## Is MS promoting PowerShell at the management level in orgs or letting it bubble up from the admins?
- makson : ## is there a cmdlet for powershell that is equivelent to sed in bash?
This segmentÂ isÂ broughtÂ toÂ youÂ byÂ Idera.
WantÂ toÂ makeÂ WindowsÂ PowerShellÂ easierÂ thanÂ everÂ toÂ learnÂ andÂ master?Â CheckoutÂ Idera'sÂ PowerShellPlusÂ ProfessionalÂ EditionÂ whichÂ isÂ nowÂ availableÂ forÂ download!Â TheÂ newÂ versionÂ hasÂ vastlyÂ improvedÂ codeÂ completionÂ andÂ aÂ slickÂ interactiveÂ LearningÂ Center.Â GoÂ toÂ www.idera.com/PodcastPeopleÂ toÂ getÂ yourÂ copyÂ today!
- From the SAPIEN blog:Â PrimalScript: Did you know about Snippets?
- New PowerGUI PowerPack:Â PowerShell for WSUS
- From Brandon Shell, now writing on TurboChargeAD.org:Â Bulking Importing User from CSV file using Quest cmdlets
From Stephen Campbell: