A Podcast about Windows PowerShell.
In This Episode
Today on the PowerScripting Podcast we interviewÂ Michael Farnia from CloudBerry Labs.Â Plus our usual news, resources, and tips.
Is your scripting might equal to the challenge? Put the power in your hands â€“ download PowerGUI today
- SAN vendor CompellentÂ has just released a snapin with over 60-cmdlets.
- SAPIEN’s blog hasÂ some details about new features coming in 2009.
- object browser
- cmdlet tree
- embedded console
- Dmitry points us to a post on theÂ PowerGUI.org forums with details of version 1.2 of their AD cmdlets.
- Due Q1 or early Q2 2009
- “Release would add some additional AD management cmdlets (like tombstone enumeration and un-delete), additional filtering when enumerating group memberships, user-friendly filtering by creation and last modification time, etc. More would come for proxy mode, in particular access to ActiveRoles Server change history storage and approval tasks queue. Also, we are going to make another iteration with performance optimization.”
- Back on Nov 21st, Joel released a new version of his Get-DNS cmdlet which works like dig on Linux.
Admin Script Editor (which recently received Windows IT Pro’s top award) provides a true integrated scripting environment for PowerShell.Â Advanced features include an integrated PowerShell debugger, advanced code generating tools for Active Directory, Databases, XML files and more.Â Let’s not forget about the exclusive PowerShell forms designer.Â Come see for yourself– Admin Script Editor v3.5 is availble for a 45 day trial atÂ AdminScriptEditor.com.
- CloudBerry Labs:Â http://www.cloudberrylab.com/
- The snapinÂ http://www.cloudberrylab.com/?id=14
- JeffHicks : ##I don’t know much about Amazon’s S3 service. Â What is it Â and why would I care as a Windows admin?
- rfoust : ## how does authentication work?
- rfoust: ## can you be connected to two accounts at once?
- rfoust : ## is the powershell support cmdlets or scripts or both?
- ustreamer-62178 : ## will your cloudberry stuff support Rackspace’s cloud?
- rfoust : ## can it auto recover from failed transfers?
- cartershanklin : ## Are they looking to do more than storage? Deploy apps to EC2? Or anything else with EC2?
- JeffHicks : ##do the powershell cmdlets duplicate everything you can do in the GUI? Or ore are the extra features in the GUI or PowerShell onl?
cartershanklin : ## No extensibility / API I mean
- JeffHicks : ##how is their app licensed?
- sepeck : ## Is this for v1 or v2 and anything related to the cloud computing tools announced with Azure at the MS PDC?
This segment is brought to you by Idera:
Want to make Windows PowerShell easier than ever to learn and master? Checkout Idera’s PowerShellPlus Professional Edition which is now available for download! The new version has vastly improved code completion and a slick interactive Learning Center. Go to www.idera.com/PodcastPeople to get your copy today!
- Network troubleshooting script from Thomas Lee:Â Send-UDPDatagran.ps1. You can also download all of his scripts in one go at hisÂ script library.
- The latestÂ RTWA eJournal has an article by Jeff Hicks titled “Practical PowerShell: Managing WMI Events with Windows PowerShell, Part 1”.
- Correlate VMware disk usage withthis script by Hugo Peeters. Goes from VM’s logical disks, to partitions, to vmdks, to datastores.
- The guys at Microsoft’s security vulnerability blog haveÂ posted a script that will disable protocol handlers to reduce the attack surface on a PC.
- Script toÂ download all of the PDC content
- Here’s a greatÂ list of one-liners
- PowerShellÂ WMI Wizard from Jeff Hicks
out-lineoutputÂ :Â ObjectÂ ofÂ typeÂ “Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Internal.Format.FormatStartData”Â isÂ notÂ legalÂ orÂ notÂ inÂ theÂ correctÂ sequence.Â ThisÂ isÂ likelyÂ causedÂ byÂ aÂ user-specifiedÂ “format-table”Â commandÂ whichÂ isÂ conflictingÂ withÂ theÂ defaultÂ formatting.
This was modified from an idea originally by theÂ PowerShell Jedi. Go check out his new blog.