A Podcast about Windows PowerShell.
In This Episode
Tonight on the PowerScripting Podcast we talk to James Hamilton of Microsoft and MVP Thomas Lee about using PowerShell on the Hotmail Team.
Before you acquire power, you must acquire knowledge â€“ and Quest Software has what you need! In Jeffery Hicksâ€™ e-book, â€œManaging Active Directory with Windows PowerShell,â€ learn how PowerShell helps you master local accounts and groups, password management, security and permissions and much, much more. Youâ€™ll also learn about the PowerShell extras and out-of-the-box features that will help you control Active Directory. Donâ€™t wait â€“ visitÂ quest.com/powershellbookÂ to register for your free copy orÂ quest.com/powerguiproÂ and see why PowerShell and Quest PowerGUI are the ultimate Windows management tools.
- Sapien announcesÂ Visual PowerShell 2011. Q&A
- Tweet from @jaykul: Save 37% on @ManningÂ Books (including eBooks). Get your WindowsÂ #PowerShellÂ in Action or PowerShell in Practice ...http://bit.ly/97qQ3D
- Karl Prosser is working on portable PowerShell ISE
- Cool new PowerGUI stuff
- Listener @sqlVariant just had his talk accepted to the SQL PASS summit! Title is:Â The Dirty Dozen: PowerShell Scripts for the Busy DBA
- Coming soon: VMware vSphere Pro Series 2 featuring PowerCLI goodies from Hal!
- User group news:
- Hotmail tips the scales
- A CONVERSATION WITH PHIL SMOOT - THE CHALLENGES OF MANAGING A MEGASERVICE
- SQLvariant: ##What's left of Windows Live now that Bing is out?
- AaronHoover: ## chimed in a bit late and the Linux comment, but what % of management is done with PowerShell now?
- esarakaitis: ##we have over 3,000 vm's we manage via powershell, we find that cmd-lets take too much time as compared to direct API calls, how do you handle it?
- philiplavoie: ## will there be a powershell command line tool such as googleCL for hotmail/live mail done in powershell for us users? i.e http://code.google.com/p/googlecl/
- pcgeek86: ## Do they use code signing certificates to sign all their scripts?
- SQLvariant: ## Does the Hotmail team go beyond using PowerShell to just script? Â Do they make interfaces that have PowerShell underneath like SCVMM?
- AaronHoover: ## primarily monitor with WMI, or more?
- SQLvariant: ##Does the team build any internal GUI tools that are built via PowerShell and/or have PowerShell underneath
- esarakaitis: ##do you use service accounts? if so, how do you manage passwords with your powershell scripts?
- AaronHoover: ##piggybacking on esarakaitis ? --- Do you usse 2k8 MSA accounts for service passwords?
- SQLvariant: ##Can you expand on the "Visualization through HTML."
- philiplavoie: ## do they use powershell for any automated testing of new depoys / releases? load tests, scalability, failover, etc?
- glnsize: ## was the switch to powershell a directive, or was it natural.
- SQLvariant: @bj11 ## doe you use PowerShell in any of those XML generation tasks or rendering steps?
- glnsize: ## when can I expect to see a hotmail provider 🙂
- SQLvariant: @bj11 ##can you speak to any chalenges in working with large amounts of XML with PowerShell. Â Do you run the scripts to gather from your desktops or a big server?
- esarakaitis: ##what complications have you encountered using powershell? i know using a code repository was a stumbling block for us
- glnsize: ## given your scale what's your opinion on v2 remoting. Â have you used it and how has it performed for you... Â (arrived late sorry if already covered)
- SQLvariant: ##any best practices he wants to mention when dealing / parsing large amounts of XML?
- esarakaitis: ##whats your favorite PS editor? (please say notepad++)
- AaronHoover: ## is the WMI the primary way of gathering data?
- esarakaitis: ##any hot PS profile tips?
- esarakaitis: ##do you find yourself using built in cmd-lets or writing custom functions, etc..
- philiplavoie: ## what limitations have you guys found with PS> where you've just needed to go another route?
- AaronHoover: ## earlier there was a comment of *only* about 200 servers at a time, why not more?
- Toshana: ## Are you using the readily available cmdlets, or custom written cmdlets or imported .net assembliesÂ
- AaronHoover: ## thoughts to 'sell' ITIL when the org 'looked' at it and believe it is not for us?
- SQLvariant: ##Bank of America had a comercial stating that they had *at leat* 4 data centers staffed and capable of running the whole company at any given time...
- SQLvariant: ##How do you go about managing whose controlling what with which script in a scenario like that?
Superhero: superman / flight
This segment is brought to you by SAPIEN Technologies.
- Checking free diskspace on Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) with PowerShell: http://bit.ly/b1AMR7
- @beefarinoÂ posted his "PowerShell as a Tools Platform" slide deck fromÂ Codestock 2010.
- Inspecting Deleted AD Objects before Restore
- Ed Wilson spoke to the Tampa PowerShell User Group today (7/8) about best practices and you can access the Live Meeting recordingÂ here.
- cspshell:Â 21 User Information Commands to Run Before You DieÂ http://bit.ly/9QJ16l
- James O'Neil explorers the Image module from the PowerShellPack
This segment is brought to you by Serverfault.com!