I hope you're getting excited about the Summit!
Monday night, don't forget to bring your fully-charged laptop to the evening reception, where we'll be having a one-hour (max) IRON SCRIPTER tournament, complete with an IRON TROPHY.
We will accept a maximum of about 50 entrants, although we encourage people to work in small teams. Here's how it'll work:
- You'll be handed assignment sheets detailing the evening's Theme Ingredient. You'll have to prepare three courses: Appetizer, Entree, and Dessert. You'll also receive a blank scorecard.
- There will be color commentary as people get started and as they work on their entries. We'll have someone, probably with a microphone, looking over your shoulder. Be prepared.
- Once you complete ALL THREE COURSES, you'll find one of our 5-6 judges and have them score you. You'll receive 1-5 points in each of 4 categories: Taste, Presentation, Creativity, and Use of Theme Ingredient. You'll then go find two other judges, for a maximum of three judges per entrant. Notice that we will have more judges on-hand that you will need to visit - we're hoping that'll expedite judging for everyone. However, there are no time bonuses - "first in" doesn't get any better consideration than "last in," except toward the end the judges may start to get cranky and belligerent.
- Judges are expected to be COMPLETELY BIASED. They may discriminate based on everything except your skin color and gender - meaning they're going to be relying on their own preferences and personal tastes to determine your score. Judges are also likely to be drinking, which will hopefully make things even more fun.
- Your completed three-judge scorecard will be handed in to our able assistant(s), who will tally your final score. That's simply adding up all the points you've been given - a maximum of 60 points, if we're doing the math right.
- The person/team with the most points WINS. We fully expect a tie. But... after one hour of coding, we're done. If you're not finished by then, you're out. Frankly, it should take you 30 minutes if you know your stuff.
- The tiebreaker, if needed, will be a SUDDEN DEATH VERBAL ASSIGNMENT. The first entrant with the (a) correct (b) nicely formatted (c) cool entry will win the IRON TROPHY.
There is no such thing as "cheating." That is, if you can look it up, fine. If you can make it up, fine. "Whatever."
There is to be no whining, no arguing with the judges, and much cheering. We are going to be laying out an incredible spread of food. We're buying the first case and a half of wine, and a half barrel of local beer - after that runs out, it'll be a cash bar. We have the room until 9pm, so we hope you'll stick around, enjoy the show, and start making and renewing your PowerShell community connections.
Remember that the tournament will be only the first hour-ish of the evening - from there, it's mix mingle, and have fun!