A Podcast about Windows PowerShell. Listen:
In This Episode
Tonight on the PowerScripting Podcast, we talk to Distinguished Engineer Jeffrey Snover
- The European PowerShell Summit Agenda has been posted
- NoVaPowerShell User Group is meeting June 26th
- SQL Saturday is coming to Birmingham, AL and they are looking for speakers
Guest – Jeffrey Snover
- PowerShell videos from TechEd 2014
- Announcing DSC for Linux
- DSC for Linux step by step
- How to Enable Powershell Logging
- Connect Item: PowerShell support for async APIs
- PowerShell Summit videos
- JEA premises
- reduce the # of admin privs users
- credentials persist and can be used to spider
- limit actions
- New toolkit based on powershell remoting
- JEA endpoint = powershell configuration
- provisions user w/set of toolkits (and only those)
- runs as an account with local admin privs
- JEA endpoint account has only local admin privs
- “security that isn’t deployed, isn’t security”
- How can we take advanced features and reduce to a simple set of features to deploy
- Implemented as DSC
- PowerShell v5 is required
- Why: any time that WinRM changes are made, WinRM service must be restarted, and v4 has a bug in WinRM
- Very similar to sudo from *nix, but more fine-grained, e.g. limit which process can be stopped by stop-process
- Build CSV as input to a toolkit spec
- Logging is sent to ETW/PowerShell, and is broken down by module
- Will ship as a set of toolkits
- OMI runs on 41 Linux distros
- “CTP next month” (meaning July?)
- “yes, moving back towards developers and new .net features”
Chatroom Highlights:[21:37:02] <sepeck> ## when is the next one [MVA]?
[21:38:07] <AlexTeachesTech> ## Will there be a DSC video series on MVA?
[21:45:05] <Ver_Anderson> ## What kind f pats do yu wear
[21:45:15] <psCookieMonster> just to get it out of the way – ## are classes coming to PS5, anything to share on the implementation? Is a new PowerShell MVA on the way, what might be covered? when will we get the PowerShell source code? : ) Maybe too early for the last one!
[21:45:18] <jcotton> ## is JEA based on PowerShell remoting?
[21:48:48] <BartekB> ## DSC for Linux is based on OMI. Can we expect easy OMI-to-DSC implementations? Like DSC for Cisco/ Arista/ Huawei?
[21:49:05] <MattHitchcock> ## Whats the approach for using JEA on Domain Controllers? I guess you’d be forced to use a Domain Account for RunAs
[21:51:17] <Zackbmiller> ## Can JEA be ran on all version of powershell?
[21:58:43] <BartekB> ## Why New-Object in JEA?
[21:59:26] <BartekB> halr9000: When I was watching Jeffrey presentation: he defined (exposed) new-object in endpoint.
[21:59:11] <PowerSchill> ## How do you handle the “chain of evidence” for the actions performed?
[22:03:18] <DonJ-MVP> ##### Payette “outed” classes in v5 on Twitter yesterday. Inquiring minds wanna confirmation.
[22:13:54] <psCookieMonster> ## will the slides from the Monad Manifesto update be made available? Might be helpful for those that missed it
[22:18:24] <Darkoperator> wish OMI was packaged and available in most distros
[22:20:17] <randal_hicks> ## @jsnover With a project as huge as Powershell, how have you gone about managing it (other than check marks off the Monad Manifesto)?
[22:22:11] <randal_hicks> ## @jsnover How do you ‘unplug’ — to clear your head — before diving back into the work?
[22:42:26] <psCookieMonster> ## Jeffrey tweeted about DSC being fast tracked for the common engineering criteria a while back… in what sense? standard for configuration management? Something else?
[22:44:23] <_____> “How I learned to stop clicking and love the shell” Jeffrey Snover
[22:47:50] <BartekB> ## why not xResources on GitHub, so that others can jump on it and help? We had some fixes to cResources and than almost the same on xResource.
<Ver_Anderson> @sepek I was looking at this one http://www.ncix.com/detail/cooler-ma…85648-1141.htm
<sepeck> ## http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2014?sort=sequential&direction=desc&term=powershell#fbid=
<sepeck> http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2014/DCIM-B362#fbid= <_- refered to video
<psCookieMonster> jcotton – check out http://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2014/05/14/just-enough-administration-step-by-step.aspx
<gpduck> DSC on linux: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2014/05/19/announcing-windows-powershell-desired-state-configuration-for-linux.aspx
<gpduck> DSC on linux step by step: http://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2014/05/19/powershell-dsc-for-linux-step-by-step.aspx
<MikeFRobbins> Steve Murawski is speaking on DSC next Wednesday for the PowerShell Virtual Chapter of SQLPASS: http://powershell.sqlpass.org/
<DonJ-MVP> http://www.petri.co.il/enable-powershell-logging.htm# – enable command logging
<Dave_Wyatt> gpduck: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Invoke-Generic-Methods-bf7675af
<ehorley> Nexus 6k OMI guide – http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus6000/sw/omi/b_OMI_guide_chapter_01.html
<brwilkinson> did anyone see this article last month: http://blog.opslogix.com/?p=203
<sepeck> any chance of a DSC getting added to the TLGs? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1262.test-lab-guides.aspx
<sepeck> AlexTeachesTech: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx
<psCookieMonster> AlexTeachesTech – presumably a subset or superset of something like https://automatedlab.codeplex.com/ could be handled by DSC
<psCookieMonster> AlexTeachesTech https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX27-k3xeNSgXVklCx-dnXQ
<halr9000> this song in spotify http://open.spotify.com/track/6wfPPd3eNgBoW7YXMwzRb0
The Question – How do you unplug?
- Beer and yoga