Richard’s Log, Stardate 2457170.5
Our destination for today is a introduction on Microsoft Certification, the PoSh way.
As an IT Professional, I am trying to keep myself constantly up-to-date, and with that comes certification. Currently I'm working on my MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification, and specifically on the preparation for exam 70-411.
In all of the Microsoft exams you have several objectives. These objectives consists of several tasks you should be able to execute. These exams are heavily GUI driven, and sometimes you have some shell questions. But as a PowerShell geek, I also want to know how to do the several tasks measured in the exam with PowerShell. Is it necessary to pass the exam? No, but it's fun to learn a bit beyond the horizon, true? 🙂
I am going to write up a serie of articles, and each article will zoom in on each task included in each objective, and how to administer it with PowerShell. Hopefully, this not only give you a understanding of the task itself, it will also teach you how to use the existing PowerShell functionality in your daily work.
To start the serie, I will write articles on the following objective of the exam 70-411:
Deploy, Manage and Maintain Servers
which consists of the following sub-objectives and tasks:
- Deploy and manage server images
- Install the Windows Deployment Services (WDS) role; configure and manage boot, install, and discover images; update images with patches, hot-fixes, and drivers; install features for offline images; configure driver groups and packages
- Implement patch management
- Install and configure the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) role, configure group policies for updates, configure client-side targeting, configure WSUS synchronisation, configure WSUS groups, manage patch management in mixed environments
- Monitor servers
- Configure Data Collector Sets (DCS), configure alerts, monitor real-time performance, monitor virtual machines (VMs), monitor events, configure event subscriptions, configure network monitoring, schedule performance monitoring
My purpose is to write one article per sub-objective, to get some scoped topics. I will need to see how this is going to work out in terms of time, but I will do my best to put coverage on all of the objectives in the exam.
Watch out for the first post in this series for the sub-objective Deploy and manage server images. In that first article I will zoom in into using the Server Manager Cmdlets, the Deployment Services Cmdlets and the Deployment Imaging Servicing Management (DISM) Cmdlets.
Disclaimer: I will show also a lot of screenshots, in which you will see me using ISESteroids. This just because I love the product. 🙂
Till next time, and live long and prosper!