A workflow cannot use recursion

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A A workflow cannot use recursion

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 34
      Replies: 88

I have the code below which has been fine until I installed V5.1 of PS. Now everytime I load the module with this code I get the recursion error. Cant figure out why it has changed…

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 669

I ran your code in a Windows 2016 domain – PowerShell 5.1 – and it worked.

Test-Connection uses the Win32_PingStatus WMI class and requires a DCOM connection to the remote machine. I’d suggest testing Test-Connection against one of the failing remote machines directly rather than in the workflow. I’d also suggest that you test get-WMIObject against the failing machine to help determine if there is a DCOM issue

Participant

The code works. The problem is that when I load the module that has the above code in it I get the ‘A workflow cannot use recursion’ error. Don’t know its giving me that error when the code actually works.

Participant
      Replies: 669

Do you call the workflow within the module code?

Participant

No – the module is imported at the start of an external script and the workflow is launched from there.
      This code has not changed – it just started showing this ‘error’ since V5 or 5.1 of WMF.

Participant

It appears to be a bug. I just removed the workflow from my module.

Participant
      Replies: 4

It appears you can use workflows with modules with v5.1 and later but it requires a bit of a trick.

I posted this same solution SO: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45183731/using-a-recursive-function-beside-a-workflow

For example, this workflow can be used to start/stop service in parallel:

If you put this in your psm1 file and try to import it, it will fail with this error:

To embed this in the module, do NOT put it in the .psm1 file, create a separate ps1 file and place it in the module folder.
      e.g. Invoke-ServiceInParallelWF.ps1

Then in your manifest (psd1) file, modify the ScriptsToProcess to include the ps1 file.

Finally, import your module and test the function:

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by kvprasoon.
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by kvprasoon. Reason: Merge to a closed thread
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.