A workflow cannot use recursion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Zemdegs 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

David Zemdegs
    Participant

I have the code below which has been fine until I installed V5.1 of PS. Now everytime I load the module with this code I get the recursion error. Cant figure out why it has changed...

Workflow Test-WFConnection {

# Run multiple parallel "pings" so it runs quicker

param(
        [string[]]$Computers
      )

foreach -parallel ($computer in $computers) {

[pscustomobject]@{
            Computer = $computer
            Reachable = (Test-Connection -ComputerName $computer -Count 1 -Quiet)
          }
      }
    }

Richard Siddaway

I ran your code in a Windows 2016 domain – PowerShell 5.1 – and it worked.

Test-Connection uses the Win32_PingStatus WMI class and requires a DCOM connection to the remote machine. I'd suggest testing Test-Connection against one of the failing remote machines directly rather than in the workflow. I'd also suggest that you test get-WMIObject against the failing machine to help determine if there is a DCOM issue

David Zemdegs
      Participant

The code works. The problem is that when I load the module that has the above code in it I get the 'A workflow cannot use recursion' error. Don't know its giving me that error when the code actually works.

Richard Siddaway

Do you call the workflow within the module code?

David Zemdegs
    Participant

No – the module is imported at the start of an external script and the workflow is launched from there.
    This code has not changed – it just started showing this 'error' since V5 or 5.1 of WMF.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.