About Comparison Operators

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hafsteinn Þórðarson Hafsteinn Þórðarson 3 months ago.

• Author

Hi everybody

Hope someone can help my with this problem

I am pulling users from AD using get-aduser. In this case I need to filter by "Description".
    I have tried filtering using the filter parameter and also tried piping it into "Where".... same result.

Here is my -filter
    {description -notlike "Description1*" -or description -notlike "Description2*"}
    and here is my "where" filter
    {$_.description -notlike "Description1*" -or $_.description -notlike "Description2*"}

Btw,
    {$_.description -like "Description1*" -or $_.description -like "Description2*"} works as expected 🙂

Am I attemting something illogical?

Profile photo of Craig Duff
    Craig Duff
    Participant

Yes, something illogical. Need to use -and instead of -or.

Say you want to find every description that doesn't contain bob or john

let description equal "bob" therefore we want it to evaluate to false

description is not like "*john*" or description is not like "*bob*", evaluates to:
    True (because "*john*" isn't like "bob") -or False, which evaluates to:
    True

However

description is not like "*john*" and description is not like "*bob*", evaluates to:
    True -and False, which evaluates to:
    False

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Profile photo of Craig Duff Craig Duff.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by Profile photo of Craig Duff Craig Duff.

Hi Craig

false or false = false
    true or true = true
    true or false = true
    false and false = false
    true and true = true
    true and false = false

Makes perfect sense as logic tends to do.
    Thank you.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

I'm not sure the cmdlets support -notlike in the -filter parameter; keep in mind all that has to translate to LDAP query syntax under the hood. You might consider using -LdapFilter instead, so you can be more precise. The LDAP syntax is different, but it's what AD uses natively, so you'll be skipping a translation "layer."

As for Where-Object, make sure that you're specifying the Description field to be included in the query results. I'd also use parentheses around the subexpressions, personally:

{ ($_.description -notlike "User*") -or ($_.description -notlike "Admin*") }

But I guess I question the logic a bit. If the Description is "User," that filter will allow it through, because it is not like "Admin*." Conversely, if it is "Admin," the filter will pass it because it is not like "User*." Essentially, any description should make it through that filter.

Just tested using "-notlike" as an operator in the filter parameter and it works. Based on what you said about LDAP filters i will definitely take a look

I know about the need to specify the properties that are not returned by default. Been there, done that (ohh, yes). I hope the Powershell team will consider throwing an error when you try to use a property that is nonexistent, like "get-aduser jdoe | select name,description".

And yes, the logic is a bit fuzzy. It makes sense when you express it using human language, but not using logical gates.
    I forgot to look at the filter as a one statement that either returns true or false.

Thank you for your response.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

I know about the need to specify the properties that are not returned by default. Been there, done that (ohh, yes). I hope the Powershell team will consider throwing an error when you try to use a property that is nonexistent, like "get-aduser jdoe | select name,description"

Look into the Set-StrictMode cmdlet.

Will do, thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.