Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A About_Pipelines

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 13

Hello Team,

Appreciate if someone could clear my confusion around pipeline ♥

Says “when multiple objects are sent across |  being processed one at a time and sends to next cmdlet and so on … ”

I guess it is more or else a sequential process. How come sort-object works to whole collection of objects if it is getting one object at a time?  

When cmdlet param accepts input pipeline byValue of type <PSObject> ( single object, no [] )

Is there a point to use ForEach-Object before using that cmd ? This again correlates to the above question, since pipeline process one-by-one .. So #3 from the below example is not necessary and skip it

Participant
      Topics: 7
      Replies: 2458
      Helping Hand

I guess it is more or else a sequential process. How come sort-object works to whole collection of objects if it is getting one object at a time?

There are certain cmdlets breaking with the rule of “one item at a time in the pipeline”. Otherwise they couldn’t work. That’s why they take more time to process usually.

So #3 from the below example is not necessary and skip it

Yes.

js
      Participant
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 842
      Helping Hand

Why is the text cut off on the right side? In powershell 5 you can test the hosts in parallel like:

Participant

@JS,

I’m just merely making a point, not to any specific cmdlet. I have seen coders using foreach-object in pipeline which doesn’t makes sense to me when cmdlet accepts input pipeline. Unless you have extra-doing in the process block I think you can ignore using  foreach

js
      Participant
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 842
      Helping Hand

Ack, I can’t even edit the last post. The edit is cut off.

Participant
      Helping Hand

Ack, I can’t even edit the last post. The edit is cut off.

It works for me on this thread but I had seen this in other threads already … you might post this in https://powershell.org/forums/forum/community-discussion-site-feedback/

Participant
      Helping Hand

I’m just merely making a point, not to any specific cmdlet. I have seen coders using foreach-object in pipeline which doesn’t makes sense to me when cmdlet accepts input pipeline. Unless you have extra-doing in the process block I think you can ignore using foreach

You know that not all cmdlets support pipeline input, don’t you? And not all coders always write the best, most efficient and pure code following best practice rules. 😉

It’s like Jeffrey Snover used to say: The world always has been, is and will always be – messy. 😀 Sometimes the only thing what counts is – the code runs without errors and does what it’s suppost to do.

Participant

Yeah 😁..  well said 👍 

Participant

Eg 1:

Eg 2: Saved Below content to .\Test-InputPipe.ps1

What’s the difference between Eg1 and Eg2 ?  I am trying to understand the pipeline functionality which seems hard to crack  apparently ☹

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Harsha.
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Harsha.
      Participant

I think I’ve found answer. Included the write-host statement in  process block of the script..

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.