Access Denied on Start-DscConfig

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Joe
    Participant

Hi all,

I'm a dev and I've been jazzed by the DSC and I'm trying to getting a simple DSC push working, but running into an error.

I spun up 2 Windows Server 2012 R2 VMs in the cloud and on the target I changed the firewall restriction on the WRM rule to all IPs (its just for testing). Then on the other VM I was able to validate this by running ([b]Test-WSMan -ComputerName 52.4.84.1[/b]) and getting a valid response. I then generated the mof files and executed "[b]Start-DscConfiguration -wait -verbose -path .\WebSiteConfig[/b]". That failed with the error below:

[blockquote]VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, "methodName' =
    SendConfigurationApply,'className' = MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' =
    root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration'.
    Access is denied.
    + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: [root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String] [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80070005
    + PSComputerName : 52.4.84.1

VERBOSE: Operation 'Invoke CimMethod' complete.
    VERBOSE: Time taken for configuration job to complete is 0.032 seconds
    [/blockquote]

I made sure that I was running the shell as Administrator as still no go. After reading up some more, I ran a cim command ([b]Get-CimClass -ComputerName 52.4.84.1 -ClassName Win32_Process[/b]) to see if that works and that too failed

Get-CimClass : Access is denied.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-CimClass -ComputerName 52.4.84.1 -ClassName Win32_Process
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (root\cimv2:Win32_Process:String) [Get-CimClass], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80070005,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.GetCimClassCommand
    + PSComputerName : 52.4.84.1

But, if I execute the same command on the target VM I get back a valid response. So I don't know if it's a firewall issue or some other configuration I need to apply on the target. I would really appreciate any pointers!!!

Thanks

Daniel Krebs

Hi Joe,

I assume you are using the local Administrator account on both machines. Is the Administrator user password on the 2nd machine the same as on the 1st machine?

Regards
    Daniel

Joe
    Participant

Thanks Daniel. What a rookie mistake!!! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.