Access Denied trying to cat a script?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  paul peters 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

paul peters
    Participant

Why am I getting and access denied? I must not be able to see the forest through the trees.

PS C:\utils\scripts\powershell\module2> cat .\1Var.ps1
    cat : Access to the path 'C:\utils\scripts\powershell\module2\1Var.ps1' is denied.
    At line:1 char:1
    + cat .\1Var.ps1
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (C:\utils\script...odule2\1Var.ps1:String) [Get-Content], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetContentReaderUnauthorizedAccessError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand

PS C:\utils\scripts\powershell\module2> get-acl .\1Var.ps1

Directory: C:\utils\scripts\powershell\module2

Path Owner Access
    —- —– ——
    1Var.ps myDomain\me mydomain\me Allow FullControl...

Richard Siddaway

Can you run the script?

Have you tried opening the script in ISE?

Is there anything odd in the security settings for the script – open properties in file explorer

paul peters
    Participant

I cannot run the script or open it in ISE. I had to unblock the script but I don't see anything odd in security. I gave myself full access to the entire directory it is in.

Richard Siddaway

Can you open the script in notepad? Is it actually PowerShell code?

paul peters
    Participant

It is powershell code. i can open it in notepad but not in ISE.

paul peters
    Participant

Solution found. it wasn't until I looked at the files in windows explorer that I saw an issue. The file and folder names were green. I removed the "Encrypt contents to secure data" in the advanced properties. I am not sure how that happened but they were zipped up from an instructor. Now everything works as expected.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.