Accessing Control Panel Server 2003

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Orellana 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Michael Orellana
    Participant

I am having trouble how to figure out how to access the items in the programs and features with powershell on server 2003. I currently have a script that will check if a specific application is installed under programs and then execute more commands after that, this is on server 2008.

$checkMSI = (Get-WmiObject -Query 'SELECT * from win32_product where IdentifyingNumber = "{E876A5DA-9506-4F94-A304-E032CB53E970}"').IdentifyingNumber

unfortunately the class "win32_product" is not available in server 2003.

Any help would be appreciated : ).

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Win32_Product is a separate install in Win2003. You should find it on any Win2003 install DVD under the Support or Tools folder.

Michael Orellana
    Participant

Ok, thank you very much. In my environment I have alot of servers that are in facilities out of state so I dont have immediate access to them to go ahead and install this addition to them, do you know of any other way to access the control panel in 2003? Or is this by far the easiest route.

David Christian
    Participant

Maybe this function will help. It parses the registry keys Dave mentioned.
    function Get-InstalledProgram{
    < # .SYNOPSIS Gets the installed programs. .DESCRIPTION This function queiries the registry for installed programs. .PARAMETER DisplayName Optional filter. Name of the program. Suports wild cards. .PARAMETER Publisher Optional filter. Name of the appliication vendor. Supports wild cards. .EXAMPLE Get-InstalledPrograms .EXAMPLE Get-InstalledPrograms -Publisher VMware* .EXAMPLE Get-InstalledPrograms | Out-GridView .INPUTS System.String,System.String .OUTPUTS PSOBject .NOTES Created on: 8/10/2013 8:32 PM Created by: David Christian .LINK opscripting.com #>

[CmdletBinding()]
    param(
    [Parameter(Position=0)]
    [Alias('Name')]
    [System.String]
    $DisplayName,

[Parameter(Position=1)]
    [Alias('Vendor')]
    [System.String]
    $Publisher
    )

#region Filter Prep
    $WhereFilter = '![System.String]::IsNullOrEmpty($_.DisplayName)'
    Write-Verbose -Message "Base Where filter: $WhereFilter"

If($DisplayName){
    $WhereFilter = '{0} -and ($_.DisplayName -like "{1}")' -f $WhereFilter,$DisplayName
    Write-Verbose -Message "Adding display filter: $WhereFilter"
    }

If($Publisher){
    $WhereFilter = '{0} -and ($_.Publisher -like "{1}")' -f $WhereFilter,$Publisher
    Write-Verbose -Message "Adding publisher filter: $WhereFilter"
    }

$whereBlock = [scriptblock]::Create($WhereFilter)
    #endregion Filter Prep

#region Uninstall Registy Keys

$UNINSTALL_ROOT = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*"
    $UNINSTALL_WOW = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*"
    $UNINSTALL_USER = "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*"
    $UNINSTALL_WOWUSER = "HKCU:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*"

#endRegion Uninstall Registy Keys

$regPath = @{n='RegistryKey';E={$_.PSPath.Split('::')[-1]}}

[System.String[]]$RegKeys = $UNINSTALL_ROOT, $UNINSTALL_USER, $UNINSTALL_WOW, $UNINSTALL_WOWUSER

foreach ($key in $RegKeys) {
    if(Test-Path -Path $key){
    Write-Verbose -Message "Reading $key"

$regKeyColumn = @{Name='RegistyKey';Expression={$key}}

try{
    Get-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name * -ErrorAction 'Stop'|
    Where-Object $whereBlock |
    Select-Object -Property DisplayName,
    DisplayVersion,
    Publisher,
    UninstallString,
    $regPath
    }
    Catch{
    Write-Warning -Message $_.Exception.Message
    }#end Catch
    }
    }#end foreach key
    }#end Get-InstalledProgram

Michael Orellana
    Participant

Is this the easiest way that one would be able to determine if a program was installed using powershell?

Michael Orellana
    Participant

Well It looks like with all your help and a little poking around on google, found the solution to my problem

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq "Windows Installer PowerShell Module"}

Thanks for everyones help!

Dave Wyatt

I wouldn't recommend using Win32_Product even if you had it available. See this blog post for the details on why: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/gramsey/archive/2011/01/25/win32-product-is-evil.aspx

All of the information that you need to reproduce Win32_Product's behavior (without the annoying side effects) can be found in the registry, mostly under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\ . This covers software that was installed with a Windows Installer package. Other, non MSI-based software can be found under the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ . (There are some entries under the Uninstall key for MSI-based packages as well, but not with nearly as much detail as you'll find under the Installer key.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.