ADAM / ADSI User Creation

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Windows LiveUser93 Windows LiveUser93 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Windows LiveUser93
    Windows LiveUser93
    Participant

Hi

I Was looking for some assistance with creation of a GroupOfNames class user that is created within ADAM of Active Directory.

I Have the following but it errors out and I think it has to do with the ADAM part of this need. Any assistance would be great.

This is what I have that is NOT working and was looking where to go from here.

$dom=[ADSI]"LDAP://OU=Users,OU=dev,OU=tdev,dc=acme,dc=com"
    $obj = $dom.Create('GroupOfNames', 'CN=ASmith')
    $obj.SetInfo()

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

What errors do you receive when you run that code?

Windows LiveUser93
    Participant

Hi
    Thank you for responding. The following is the error. The GroupOfNames is a class that I need to create this in.

Exception calling "SetInfo" with "0" argument(s): "The requested operation did

not satisfy one or more constraints associated with the class of the object.

"

At line:1 char:1

+ $obj.SetInfo()

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CatchFromBaseAdapterMethodInvokeTI

Dave Wyatt

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/cc221862.aspx , it looks like this class must contain a "member" attribute. You would need to populate this attribute before calling SetInfo().

Windows LiveUser93
    Participant

I thought that this line represented that?

$obj = $dom.Create('GroupOfNames', 'CN=ASmith')

Dave Wyatt

Nope. In that line, you're creating a GroupOfNames object that is itself called 'ASmith', rather than GroupOfNames object that contains ASmith as a member.

Windows LiveUser93
    Participant

Aaaah so how would you create a user in ADAM within an ou like the following. the view I am representing is within adsiedit and is currently how we add a user of this type.

name class Distingguishedname

cn=fdoe groupofnames OU=Users,OU=dev,OU=tdev,dc=acme,dc=com

Dave Wyatt

Well, a user and a groupOfNames are different things. If you want to create a groupOfNames object, you're already on the right track, but it needs to contain at least one member. Something along these lines:

$ou = [ADSI]'LDAP://OU=Users,OU=dev,OU=tdev,dc=acme,dc=com'
    $obj = $ou.Create('GroupOfNames', 'CN=fdoe')
    $obj.member = 'CN=ASmith,OU=Users,OU=dev,OU=tdev,dc=acme,dc=com'
    $obj.SetInfo()

I don't know if that code will work as-is; I can't test it at the moment. Working with ADSI via PowerShell can be a bit of a headache.

Windows LiveUser93
    Participant

Thank you very much.
    I am in no way even close to being a programmer and sometimes find it very difficult to bridge the programming terms / process with being a system admin.
    I will try it out and respond back. This is a ldap connection for Teradata users and up to now it is a manual process. I want to script it so I can hand it off to our access control team.

Thanks again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.