add data into newly created column in csv

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mark mark 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of mark
    mark
    Participant

I promise I've banged my head on this one for a good while, but just not able to get around it.

$vms = get-cluster N-MMK-COOP-151-166 | Get-VM

foreach ($vm in $vms) {
    get-stat -Entity $vm -Start 9/27/2016 -Finish 10/18/2016 -CPU | Select Value | export-csv -Path B:\scripts\GetHostStats\$vm.csv
    }

The above creates a csv file for each VM. I'd like to have the data for each VM just be a new column in the same csv file. Thanks for any thoughts!

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

To capture the output of the loop, you assign a variable to it:

$vms = Get-Cluster N-MMK-COOP-151-166 | Get-VM

$results = foreach ($vm in $vms) {
       Get-Stat -Entity $vm -Start 9/27/2016 -Finish 10/18/2016 -CPU | Select Value 
    }

$results | Export-Csv -Path B:\scripts\GetHostStats\Stats.csv -NoTypeInformation

However, per the documentation on Get-Stat, you can pass VM's ByValue for Entity. You should be able to do something like this:

$results = Get-Cluster N-MMK-COOP-151-166 | 
    Get-VM |
    Get-Stat -Start 9/27/2016 -Finish 10/18/2016 -CPU | 
    Select Value 

$results | export-csv -Path B:\scripts\GetHostStats\Stats.csv -NoTypeInformation

Profile photo of random commandline
    random commandline
    Participant
    $vms = get-cluster N-MMK-COOP-151-166 | Get-VM

$values = foreach ($vm in $vms) {get-stat -Entity $vm -Start 9/27/2016 -Finish 10/18/2016 -CPU | Select Value}
    $values | export-csv -Path B:\scripts\GetHostStats\$vm.csv

Profile photo of mark
    mark
    Participant

Thank you for the answers. These do place all the results into one csv file, but the results are appended to the same/first column. I'm trying to place each new set of results into a new column within the same csv.

Profile photo of mohit goyal
    mohit goyal
    Participant

This is an odd method of storing output. However I'm sure you must have some reason behind it. I could not test below code (due to lack of environment) but you should be able to use something like this:

$vms = Get-Cluster N-MMK-COOP-151-166 | Get-VM

$results = New-Object -TypeName PSObject

foreach ($vm in $vms) {
       $Value = Get-Stat -Entity $vm -Start 9/27/2016 -Finish 10/18/2016 -CPU | Select Value 
       $results | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name $vm.name -Value $Value
    }

$results | Export-csv -Path B:\scripts\GetHostStats\Stats.csv

Profile photo of mark
    mark
    Participant

thanks, for the time on this. I'd be open to different storage methods. your code cycles through successfully, but the csv has this data. It does nicely in placing each VM into it's own column, but wondering why the $Value field is not picked up.

EI0001VAPP FCADBSMMK1 VROBUSTENGQA1
    System.Object[] System.Object[] System.Object[]

Here's how it comes back when run straight from powercli//powershell

PowerCLI B:\scripts\GetHostStats\merge> Get-Stat -Entity FCADBSMMK1 -Start 9/27/2016 -Finish 10/18/2016 -CPU | Select Value

Value
    —–

Profile photo of mohit goyal
    mohit goyal
    Participant

Just modify last line:

$results | Export-csv -Path B:\scripts\GetHostStats\Stats.csv -NoTypeInformation

Profile photo of mark
      mark
      Participant

hmm. i'm missing something. this is still producing the same results:

$vms = Get-Cluster L-WLK-FSLab-2 | Get-VM

$results = New-Object -TypeName PSObject

foreach ($vm in $vms) {
      $Value = Get-Stat -Entity $vm -Start 9/27/2016 -Finish 10/18/2016 -CPU | Select Value
      }

$results | Export-csv -NoTypeInformation -Path B:\scripts\GetHostStats\merge\Stats.csv

Profile photo of mark
    mark
    Participant

when I add in a write-host I do get values. not sure why it's failing to come through with the export-csv.

EIWLKHTLVM001
    @{Value=0.74} @{Value=0.66} @{Value=0.5} @{Value=0.36} @{Value=0.28} @{Value=0.24} @{Value=1.6} @{Value=155} @{Value=137} @{Value=105} @{Value=75} @{Value=59} @{Value=50} @{Value=333}

foreach ($vm in $vms) {
    write-host $vm.name
    write-host $Value
    }

Profile photo of mark
    mark
    Participant

here's a write-host though for $results

PowerCLI B:\scripts\GetHostStats\merge> .\8merge.ps1
    @{BIGIPTEST=}
    @{BIGIPTEST=; EIWLKHTLVM009=System.Object[]}
    @{BIGIPTEST=; EIWLKHTLVM009=System.Object[]; EIWLKHTLVM001=System.Object[]}

Profile photo of mark
    mark
    Participant

This will give me the values, but running into issues trying to get the values into an array and then exporting them into a csv file.

$vms = Get-Cluster L-WLK-FSLab-2 | Get-VM

foreach ($vm in $vms) {
    $values = Get-Stat -Entity $vm -Start 10/23/2016 -Finish 10/23/2016 -CPU | Select Name, @{Name=$vm.Name;Expression={[string]::join(“;”, ($_.Value))}}
    }

Profile photo of mark
    mark
    Participant

PowerCLI B:\scripts\GetHostStats\merge> .\9merge.ps1
    @{Name=; BIGIPTEST=6.09} @{Name=; BIGIPTEST=316}
    @{Name=; EIWLKHTLVM009=4.39} @{Name=; EIWLKHTLVM009=914}
    @{Name=; EIWLKHTLVM001=0.8} @{Name=; EIWLKHTLVM001=168}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.