Author Posts

May 22, 2015 at 2:24 am

Hi,
I want to add multiple values to a property (but values are not array) in a PSObject. For example the below code.

$ComputerName = 'Computer1','Computer2','Computer3'
$Obj = New-Object -TypeName PSObject
ForEach($C in $ComputerName)
{
    $Obj | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'ComputerName' -Value $C
}
$Obj

The below is the output I am expecting

ComputerName
———————-
Computer1
Computer2
Computer3

When I run the above code, I am getting the below error.

Add-Member : Cannot add a member with the name "ComputerName" because a member with that name already exists. If you want to overwrite the member anyway, use the Force parameter to overwrite it.
At line:3 char:22
+     $Obj | Add-Member < <<<  -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "ComputerName" -Value $C
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{ComputerName=Computer1}:PSObject) [Add-Member], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MemberAlreadyExists,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddMemberCommand

Add-Member : Cannot add a member with the name "ComputerName" because a member with that name already exists. If you want to overwrite the member anyway, use the Force parameter to overwrite it.
At line:3 char:22
+     $Obj | Add-Member <<<<  -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "ComputerName" -Value $C
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{ComputerName=Computer1}:PSObject) [Add-Member], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MemberAlreadyExists,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddMemberCommand
Function LogPathValidation
{
	If(Test-Path $PSScriptRoot)
	{
		If(Test-Path $($PSScriptRoot+"\Logs)"))
		{
			Write-Host "Green" -fore green
			If(Test-Path $($PSScriptRoot+"\Logs\Temp"))
			{
				Write-Host "Green" -fore green
			}
			Else{ New-Item -Path $($PSScriptRoot+"\Logs") -Name "Temp" -ItemType Directory -ErrorAction "SilentlyContinue"}
		}
		Else
		{
			New-Item -Path $($PSScriptRoot) -Name "Logs" -ItemType Directory -ErrorAction "SilentlyContinue"
			New-Item -Path $($PSScriptRoot+"\Logs") -Name "Temp" -ItemType Directory -ErrorAction "SilentlyContinue"
		}
	}
	Else
	{
		Write-Host "It should never run"
	}
}

May 22, 2015 at 3:09 am

In the output you've described, that's what you'd get if you had three different objects, each one with a ComputerName property, rather than one object with a ComputerName property containing three values. That code might look something like this:

$ComputerName = 'Computer1','Computer2','Computer3'
ForEach($C in $ComputerName)
{
    New-Object psobject -Property @{ ComputerName = $C }
}