Add-WindowsFeature timeout

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Jones David Jones 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of David Jones
    David Jones
    Participant

I"m getting this error and bing/google are no help

Add-WindowsFeature : The server could not update the provided feature files in the time allowed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-WindowsFeature server-gui-mgmt-infra -Source wim:z:\wim\2012r2u1\install.wim ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationTimeout: (22612efb-eff3-49f1-8094-1a49fe12a07a:Guid) [Install-WindowsFeature],
       Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetAlterationState__CallCycleTimeout,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindows
       FeatureCommand

Profile photo of Sam Boutros
    Sam Boutros
    Participant

Confirm that you have access to the .wim file – see this post for more details

David Jones
    Participant

I have access to the WIM. I got the same error when I coped it to the local hard drive

This issue is Patches. The OS has been patched, and we want to add the gui management tools.

I have tried to patch the WIM, and that is when I get this error instead of "unable of download"

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

I would expect to see an index number on your WIM path. Something like this:

wim:z:\wim\2012r2u1\install.wim[b]:2[/b]

David Jones
    Participant

That was a cut a paste error.

With a patched WIM, Same error if I only patch the WIM with the same KB as what the OS has, or Every patch available. (I also tried a patched WIM and extracted the winSXS and sources\SXS folders merged together; then tried another computers c:\Windows\SXS that had the features I want and the same patch level, both got this error)

Add-WindowsFeature : The server could not update the provided feature files in the time allowed.
    + Add-WindowsFeature server-gui-mgmt-infra -Source wim:c:\install.wim:4
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationTimeout: (d661b5f6-2644-4097-b370-99b7aeb430b1:Guid) [Install-WindowsFeature],
       Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetAlterationState__CallCycleTimeout,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindows
       FeatureCommand 

With the Media (we are behind a firewall and the proxy only does NTLM and only allows domain users, not machine accounts)

Add-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more
    information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. Error: 0x800f0906
    + Add-WindowsFeature server-gui-mgmt-infra -Source D:\sources\install.wim:4
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
        Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Cbs_Download_Failure,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsF
       eatureCommand

I hope this source circus gets fixed in Windows 10.

David Jones
    Participant

Just so the world knows the solution I found.

Windows\winSXS holds the local source for installing features, on GUI it does not include .net 3.5 or PowerShell 2.0. for a Core install many of the sources are not included.

Due to some patches (includeing KB2883200) make it so the orignal CD cant be used, but a patched .WIM can. Whey we cant just point to \\patchedGUIserver\c$\windows\sxs I have no idea, but it does not work.

So the solution is to have a GUI install with the GUI removed and keep it patched. then used the following to create the WIM that you can use as a source.

Stop-vm FeatureSourceServer
    Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath D:\VMs\FeatureSourceServer.vhdx -Path C:\VHDMount -Index 1
    New-WindowsImage -CapturePath C:\VHDMount -Name 2012R2Sorce -ImagePath D:\Install.wim -Description "2012 R2 Source" -Verify
    Dismount-WindowsImage -Path C:\VHDMount -Discard
    Start-vm FeatureSourceServer

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.