Adding Custom Attribute

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ron Ron 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ali Asghar Kayani
    Ali Asghar Kayani
    Participant

How can i add Custom Attributes in Active Directory like
    a user's properties show below properties as well

Laptop-Serial No:
    Desktop Serial No:

Thanks.

Profile photo of Aapeli Hietikko
    Aapeli Hietikko
    Participant

The description leaves some holes to the story. So have you extended your AD schema so that there is attributes 'Laptop-Serial No' and 'Desktop Serial No' and you ask how to populate values to those attributes or are you asking how to extend the schema to have the two attributes in the first place?

Profile photo of Ali Asghar Kayani
    Ali Asghar Kayani
    Participant

sorry for incomplete info.
    i want to create above two additional properties of each user.i want to know how to extend AD Schema and how can i add additional properties to each user.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Typically, you want to leverage unused attributes in your current schema, not add specific named attributes. For example, you might look at extendedAttribute# attributes (e.g. extendedAttribute12) and leverage them to hold data you'd like to associate with a user.

Profile photo of Ron
      Ron
      Participant

I believe those extended attributes are only there if you have installed Exchange. But there are a few others you might be able to steal, if they are unused. You can always leverage the notes field unless it has a specific purpose already, and you gain the ability to access it directly from ADUC without having to use the attribute editor. Extending the schema in a production environment is best left to a qualified AD engineer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.