Advanced Function Optional Parameter Problem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Istvan Szarka Istvan Szarka 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Istvan Szarka
    Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Hello,

I've written an advanced function that creates one or more VMs. I have a mandatory parameter and many optional, with some default values.
    The problem is with the optional parameters that have no default values.
    For example, there is a SwitchName parameter that is optional and has no default value, because I don't always want a new VM to connect to a switch.
    However, if I don't supply any value to it, I get this error, even if I use [AllowEmptyString()] and [AllowNull()] in the PARAM block:

New-VM : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'SwitchName'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.

I want the VMs to connect to a switch only if I supply the name of a switch, otherwise I don't want them to connect anywhere. How can I do this?
    These are the relevant snippets from my code (sorry for the formatting, it gets messed up whatever I do):

#Some of the parameters:

[CmdletBinding()]
    param(
          [Parameter(Mandatory,
                ValueFromPipeline,
                ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName)]
          [string[]]
          $VMName,

[Parameter(ValueFromPipeline,
                ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName)]
          [AllowEmptyString()]
          [AllowNull()]
          [string]
          $SwitchName,

#And so on
    )

PROCESS
    {
            foreach ($name in $VMName)
            {
                    $params = @{Name                          = $name
                                             MemoryStartupBytes = $MemoryStartupBytes
                                             Generation                  = 2
                                             NewVHDPath             = "$VHDFolder\$name\$name.vhdx"
                                             NewVHDSizeBytes    = $VHDSizeBytes
                                             BootDevice                  = $BootDevice
                                             ComputerName         = $ComputerName
                                             Path                              = $VMFolder
                                             SwitchName               = $SwitchName}
                    New-VM @params

$params = @{VMName                              = $name
                                              DynamicMemoryEnabled = $true
                                              MinimumBytes                    = $MemoryMinimumBytes
                                              ComputerName                 = $ComputerName}
                    Set-VMMemory @params
             }
    }

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You need to put some logic in your script to not provide the SwitchName parameter is $SwitchName is null.

if ($SwitchName) { $params.Add('SwitchName',$SwitchName) }

Something along those lines.

The [AllowNull()] means YOUR FUNCTION will accept a null value from $SwitchName. That doesn't mean New-VM will do so.

Profile photo of Bjorn Houben
    Bjorn Houben

How do you call the function?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

The problem is probably when you pass a null / empty value to the New-VM cmdlet, based on what I can see so far. You'd need to construct your $params hashtable so that only the defined parameters are in it when you call New-VM. Something like this:

$params = @{
        Name               = $name
        MemoryStartupBytes = $MemoryStartupBytes
        Generation         = 2
        NewVHDPath         = "$VHDFolder\$name\$name.vhdx"
        NewVHDSizeBytes    = $VHDSizeBytes
        BootDevice         = $BootDevice
        ComputerName       = $ComputerName
        Path               = $VMFolder
    }

if ($SwitchName) { $params['SwitchName'] = $SwitchName }

New-VM @params

Also, you'll want to get away from using ValueFromPipeline in combination with String parameters. Any object can be represented as a string, which will give you some crazy results when you start trying to pipe objects to this function. Based on what I see so far, ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName should be all you need.

Profile photo of Istvan Szarka
    Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Thank you a lot, it works! I haven't encountered this amazing technique yet.
    Thank you for the advice on pipeline imput too!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.