$Allnodes.foreach examples

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scriptimus Prime Scriptimus Prime 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Glenn Turner
    Glenn Turner
    Participant

Does anyone have an example of how to use the $AllNodes.Foreach expression in the configuration data as I ve tried numerous attempts to get this to work with no success to date

thanks Glenn

Profile photo of Jacob Benson
    Jacob Benson

Glenn –

Can you provide an example(s) of something you have tried? Have you tried using Where instead?

$ConfigData = @{
        AllNodes = @(
            @{
                NodeName = 'Localhost'
                Role = 'TargetPractice'
                DestinationPath = 'C:\Blah'
            },
            @{
                NodeName = 'ServerA'
                Role = 'FileServer'
                DestinationPath = 'C:\Scripts'
            }
        )
    }

Configuration ScalableDSC {

node $AllNodes.Where({$_.Role -Like 'TargetPractice'}).NodeName {

File Scripts
            {
                SourcePath = "\\Server\Scripts"
                DestinationPath = $Node.DestinationPath
                Ensure = "Present"

}

}

node $AllNodes.Where({$_.Role -Like 'FileServer'}).NodeName {

File Scripts
            {
                SourcePath = "\\OtherServer\Scripts"
                DestinationPath = $Node.DestinationPath
                Ensure = "Present"

}

}

}

Glenn Turner
      Participant

thanks Jacob much appreciated, hopefully the example below shows what we are trying to do.

At the moment we are using just a standard foreach() statement and just enumerating through the windows features in our array $features .

Basically Is it possible to use the $Allnodes.Foreach() statement in a similar fashion but using the array stored in the hash table key Winfeatures within the configdata and do something like $ALLnodes.foreach($_.Winfeatures)

and use this to assign to the Name = $feature.

$configdata = @{

AllNodes = @(
              @{  NodeName = "dscw2k8";
                  Cluster = "SERVERX";
                  Winfeatures =  @("NET-Framework-Core","NET-HTTP-Activation","Web-Static-Content","Web-Default-Doc",
      	        "Web-Dir-Browsing","Web-Http-Errors","Web-Asp-Net","Web-Net-Ext","Web-ISAPI-Ext",
      	        "Web-ISAPI-Filter","Web-Includes","Web-Http-Logging","Web-Log-Libraries","Web-Request-Monitor",
      	        "Web-Http-Tracing","Web-Mgmt-Tools","Web-Scripting-Tools","Web-Mgmt-Service")
              }

)

}

configuration netserverWindowsFeatures
      {

$features = "NET-Framework-Core","NET-HTTP-Activation","Web-Static-Content","Web-Default-Doc",
      	        "Web-Dir-Browsing","Web-Http-Errors","Web-Asp-Net","Web-Net-Ext","Web-ISAPI-Ext",
      	        "Web-ISAPIFilter","Web-Includes","Web-Http-Logging","Web-Log-Libraries","Web-Request-Monitor",
      	        "Web-Http-Tracing","Web-Mgmt-Tools","Web-Scripting-Tools","Web-Mgmt-Service"

foreach($feature in $features)
          {
              Node $AllNodes.Where{$_.Cluster -eq "SERVERX"}.Nodename
              {
                  WindowsFeature $feature
                  {
                      Name = $feature
                      Ensure = "Present"
                  }
                  Log "netserverWindowsFeatures-$feature"
                  {
                      Message = "netserverWindowsFeatures Windows $feature updated"
                      #DependsOn = "[WindowsFeature]"
                  }

}
          }

}
      netserverWindowsFeatures -outputpath c:\mof\sample_NETAPPB -configuration $configdata 
    Jacob Benson

I will have to test this out and get back to you. What happens when you run this? Do you get a .MOF file, an error message, or something else? I am just wanting to know what kind of behavior you are getting so I can compare it to what I get.

Jacob Benson

Alright, it's going to take someone with a much greater understanding of PowerShell than me to tell you how to do this. It is definitely supported, because if you just type Node $AllNodes. you get 2 options, Where and ForEach. However, digging into the syntax of ForEach on MSDN, I have no idea how you would use that in a DSC Configuration. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

[blockquote]Basically Is it possible to use the $Allnodes.Foreach() statement in a similar fashion but using the array stored in the hash table key Winfeatures within the configdata and do something like $ALLnodes.foreach($_.Winfeatures) [/blockquote]

Technically, you can, but it's not necessary. I find the simple "foreach" loop more readable than the $collection.ForEach() method syntax anyway.

For your specific situation, it's helpful to know that DSC gives you access to an automatic $Node variable within the Node block. This $Node variable contains a reference to the hashtable associated with the node name, and you can get to the WinFeatures key of your hashtable from there. For example:

$configdata = @{

AllNodes = @(
            @{  NodeName = "dscw2k8";
                Cluster = "SERVERX";
                Winfeatures =  @("NET-Framework-Core","NET-HTTP-Activation","Web-Static-Content","Web-Default-Doc",
    	        "Web-ISAPI-Filter","Web-Includes","Web-Http-Logging","Web-Log-Libraries","Web-Request-Monitor",
    	        "Web-Http-Tracing","Web-Mgmt-Tools","Web-Scripting-Tools","Web-Mgmt-Service")
            }

)

}

{ 
        Node $AllNodes.Where{$_.Cluster -eq "SERVERX"}.NodeName
        {
            foreach($feature in $Node.Winfeatures)
            {
                WindowsFeature $feature
                {
                    Name = $feature
                    Ensure = "Present"
                }
            }
        } 
    }

netserverWindowsFeatures -ConfigurationData $configdata

Now, if you really, really wanted to, you could have replaced that foreach loop with this syntax, but I don't really see the point:

{ 
        Node $AllNodes.Where{$_.Cluster -eq "SERVERX"}.NodeName
        {
            $Node.Winfeatures.ForEach({
                WindowsFeature $_
                {
                    Name = $_
                    Ensure = "Present"
                } 
            })
        } 
    }

Edit: I removed the Log resources from the configuration while I was writing and testing this, but you can put those back within the loops easily enough.

Glenn Turner
    Participant

Jacob thanks for helping and thanks Dave for the examples , that's excellent , much appreciated ,

agreed the first example does looks easier to read and follow ,

and thanks for showing how you would use $collection.foreach() statement syntax, that has certainly enlightened me.

thanks Glenn

Profile photo of Scriptimus Prime
    Scriptimus Prime
    Participant

This works:

Node $AllNodes.ForEach("Nodename")

Just tested it as I'm creating a new hydration kit .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.