Another Empty Pipe Error when Export CSV used

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jaap Brasser 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

notarat
    Participant

Powershell 2 user here. Not allowed to use version 3 yet.
    Having a weird error when trying to export

# Grab Users from List

$Userlist = Get-Content c:\inputfiles\Users.txt

# Iterate through list using Foreach

foreach($User in $UserList) {

# Grab Username, ExServName, Applicable Mailbox info
         get-aduser $User -property name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults | select name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults 

# Export results to out.csv
    } | export-csv out.csv

With

| export-csv out.csv

after the last curley bracket, I get the empty pipe element is not allowed error.

If I place it after mDBUseDefaults but before the last curley bracket, it works, but only records the information from the last user in the list of users.

Where's my major malfunction?

Richard Siddaway

The problem is using foreach.

This throws the same error

£> $processes = Get-Process
    £> foreach ($i in 1..5){$processes[$i]} | Export-Csv test.csv
    At line:1 char:38
    + foreach ($i in 1..5){$processes[$i]} | Export-Csv test.csv
    + ~
    An empty pipe element is not allowed.
    + CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : EmptyPipeElement

You are using the foreach keyword rather than foreach which is an alias of Foreach-Object

if I change my loop to this

1..5 | foreach{$processes[$_]} | Export-Csv test.csv

it works

I think your code needs to become

Get-Content c:\inputfiles\Users.txt |
    foreach{

get-aduser $_ -property name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults | select name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults

} | export-csv out.csv

Dave Wyatt

You can't pipe the result of a foreach loop to anything (which is different from the ForEach-Object cmdlet). There are a couple of ways you could change your code:

Preferred method (not saving the entire contents of the Users.txt file in memory, but processing one line at a time:

Get-Content c:\inputfiles\Users.txt |
    ForEach-Object {
         get-aduser $_ -property name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults | select name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults 

} | export-csv out.csv

Another option to force a foreach loop to pipe its results somewhere (placing the loop into a subexpression, and piping the results of the subexpression to the next command):

# Grab Users from List

$(

get-aduser $User -property name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults | select name, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults 

}
    ) | export-csv out.csv

And a third option, the same sort of idea (instead of a subexpression, placing the foreach loop into a script block and invoking it, then piping the results of that script block to the next command):

# Grab Users from List

& {

}
    } | export-csv out.csv

notarat
    Participant

Thanks for the response!

I went with

# Input Users from text file
    $USERS = Get-Content C:\inputfiles\USERS.txt

#pipe variable through to get requisite information and export the information to csv
    $USERS|Foreach{Get-ADUser $_ -Properties * |Select Surname, GivenName, SAMAccountName, Loc, msExchHomeServerName, mDBStorageQuota, mDBOverQuotaLimit, mDBOverHardQuotaLimit, mDBUseDefaults}|Export-CSV -Path C:\outputfiles\UserEMail.csv -notype

Seems to work fine. I just have to putz around in excel to do a

=RIGHT(E2,13)

to make the exchange server name a bit more readable. (no biggie)

I appreciate you taking the time to show me the "why" as much as the "what" when things go wrong.

notarat
    Participant

[quote=10028]You can’t pipe the result of a foreach loop to anything (which is different from the ForEach-Object cmdlet). There are a couple of ways you could change your code:[/quote]

I get those two confused STILL(!) at times. Then I look really dumb, lol.

Thanks for the examples! It really helps me understand better when I can compare the different ways to gather the data.

As I said to Richard, I do appreciate it even more when you explain it to me because seeing the solution -with- the explanation of where/why I went wrong.

That seems to be the best way I have found so far to learn Powershell. (I've never really been a programmer but I am liking powershell more and more each time I learn something new!)

Jaap Brasser
    Participant

Alternatively you can also wrap the foreach-construct in the $(..) notation, this will force the entire loop to complete before piping it into the next cmdlet. I do recommend using the pipeline properly, but it might be interesting to know another method of working with foreach:

`
    $(
        foreach ($i in 1..5) {
            $i
        }
    ) | ForEach-Object { $_ }
    `

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.