Any recommendations on a good IDE or editor for PowerShell.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Prior 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

skankykiwi
    Participant

Hey.

I'm new to the PowerShell game... I'm getting there and having fun over the past few weeks. However after spending the last few years using Eclipse I'm finding the Windows Powershell ISE a little bit clunky.

I've searched the net looking but given I'm part of this forum I thought I'd put it out there. Has anyone got any recommendations on a good IDE or editor for PowerShell?

I've spotted the two following as popular.

1: VS code
    2: Windows Powershell ISE on steroids.

Any others (That don't cost the earth) ?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

VS Code with the PowerShell plugin is the official answer, and it's a good one.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

I'll mention that PowerShell Studio is well written and full featured. It does cost, but I'm accustomed to paying for pro tools for my trade. It's far less than a mortgage payment so I wouldn't classify it as costing the earth.

skankykiwi
      Participant

Hey thanks Don... See my reply below.

Liam Kemp
    Participant

I completely agree with Don here.

If you are just getting started, VSCode, especially the last few updates is a really solid option for PowerShell, and a host of other things. It lacks a few things from the ISE, such as Cmdlet search (I've never used this feature). I use VSCode every day for PowerShell.

PowerShell Studio from Sapien is a much closer solution to eclipse and other full fledged IDE's, and while it does come at a cost, it packs a lot of features that VSCode and the ISE don't have. Depending on your needs down the track, it could definitely be worth the money.

skankykiwi
    Participant

Hey thanks Don... I have taken steroids for the day... Wow what a difference... I will take your advise and look at VS Code with the PowerShell plugin shortly.

Thanks again for your help bro. I really appreciate it 😉

js
    Participant

I actually use emacs with a powershell color mode. I've been using emacs for years and know it well.

Ivan
    Participant

I know it's a matter of preference but, to me, installing a behemoth like VisualStudio just for PowerShell it's a little too much, I would go for "smaller" solutions.

Don Jones
      Keymaster

Ivan, to be clear, VS Code is not Visual Studio, and it's not a behemoth. It's actually a very small, very simplified environment that's a distinct product from its full-sized cousin. It IS the "smaller solution" that folks like yourself (and me, because I feel the same as you about Visual Studio) have asked for pretty much forever.

Ivan
      Participant

Yes, I realize that now, I thought it was the full package.

Mark Prior
    Participant

just out of interest what do you find clunky around ISE?

i wrote most of my stuff in this and then transfer to Sapien if i need to produce a GUI, good thing around sapien is it can save allot of time as it produces most of the code for you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.