Appending the Filename

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

by Lahru at 2013-03-19 08:04:10

I hope there is a simple answer to my simple seeming question.
    I want to rename all files in a directory.
    The files that get put in this directory have seemingly random names like a hex designation.
    All files are either TIF, JPG or PDF files.
    I want to append some text to the beginning of each filename AND move it. The rename and the move can be 2 separate actions if necessary.

So what I have is:
    c:\share\00-22-64-F4-8E-0C.TIF

I wish to end up with either:
    c:\share\DepartmentName-00-22-64-F4-8E-0C.TIF
    OR
    \\SomeOtherServer\share\DepartmentName-00-22-64-F4-8E-0C.TIF

So the appending of additional text to the file's name while incorporating the original file name is what I am after. (Not looking to add a date.)

I've played a bit with rename-item and Move-item, but I'm missing something because neither of these like the use of wildcards or more likely I am misusing wildcard characters.

by MasterOfTheHat at 2013-03-19 09:12:08

You can do both the rename and the move using Move-Item:
    Get-ChildItem C:\temp\test2\00-22-64-F4-8E-0C.TIF |
    ForEach-Object { Move-Item -Path $_.FullName -Destination "c:\temp\test\DepartmentName-$($_.Name)" }

by Lahru at 2013-03-19 09:59:04

Theank you very much, was able to use this with only a minor adjustment to deal with all files in the originating folder, like so
    Get-ChildItem C:\temp\test2\ | ForEach-Object { Move-Item -Path $_.FullName -Destination "c:\temp\test\DepartmentName-$($_.Name)" }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.