Assign O365 product licence only where not already assigned

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vandrey Trindade 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jamie
    Participant

Hi,

I have a project to assign licenses to users within O365. I'm fine with the process of adding, removing, configuring etc. but would like to make this a little tidier.

Basically I have the below code which configures an already enabled licence (ENTERPRISEPACK) and enables another (EMS):

$TargetUsers = Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=To Migrate,OU=Department,OU=Company,DC=Domain,DC=local"

$O365EntE3 = New-MsolLicenseOptions -AccountSkuId tenent:ENTERPRISEPACK #-DisabledPlans MCOSTANDARD
    $EMSE3 = New-MsolLicenseOptions -AccountSkuId tenent:EMS

#Loop through the found users and set required licenses. 
    $TargetUsers | ForEach-Object {
        Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -LicenseOptions $O365EntE3
        Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses callcreditgroup:EMS
        }

This works fine but where an EMS licence is already assigned, it will error on subsequent runs with the following error:

Set-MsolUserLicense : Unable to assign this license because it is invalid. Use the Get-MsolAccountSku cmdlet to retrieve a list of valid licenses.

The following Technet article mentions this in the security note just past half way down the page but not how to address it: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn771770.aspx

Is there a way to run this command only the product unlicensed?

My thinking is along the lines of:

Where-Object {$_.IsLicensed -eq "false"} | set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses callcreditgroup:EMS

but this isn't specifying the product before the pipe so obviously won't work. Any way to do this or am I doomed to just accept the error?

Cheers
    Jamie

Don Jones
    Keymaster

If it's an error you can anticipate and deal with, or ignore, why not just handle the error? As in, a Try/Catch?

Jamie
    Participant

Hi Don,

Yes that would be a good solution. Not something I've really used in my scripts before so will have a little read up but suppose I was hoping that I could address this with a "where" cmdlet or "If" conditional logic etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Jamie

Jamie
    Participant

OK, so the following works nicely:

#Currently setting all services within this plan
    $O365EntE3 = New-MsolLicenseOptions -AccountSkuId tenent:ENTERPRISEPACK #-DisabledPlans MCOSTANDARD

$TargetUsers | ForEach-Object { 
        Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -LicenseOptions $O365EntE3
            Try
            {
                Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses tenent:EMS -ErrorAction Stop
            }
            Catch
            {
                Write-Warning "EMS Licence already assigned"
            }
        }

But would like the output message to include each username that that may already have this. Adding $TargetUsers to the message just lists all users in one line regardless of whether they already have the license or not.

Cheers
    Jamie

Vandrey Trindade
    Participant

Jamie,

Try to add the $_.DisplayName (or the property that you want) instead of $TargetUsers on the warning message.

Jamie
    Participant

Hi Vandrey,

I did already try along those lines but $_ in this instance returns the error "Unable to assign this license because it is invalid. Use the Get-MsolAccountSku cmdlet to retrieve a list of valid licenses." rather than user it's working with

I did try another route:

ForEach ($TargetUser in $TargetUsers) { 
            Try
            {
                Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses tenent:EMS -ErrorAction Stop
            }
            Catch
            {
                Write-Warning "EMS Licence already assigned to $TargetUser"
            }
        }

but this just fails all commands and returns:

Set-MsolUserLicense : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'UserPrincipalName' because it is null.
    At line:50 char:44
    + ... Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -Licens ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Set-MsolUserLicense], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.SetUserLicense

Cheers
    Jamie

Vandrey Trindade
    Participant

Jamie,

You need to write the property "$TargetUser.PrimarySmtpAddress"
    Only use "$_.Property" when using the Foreach-Object loop.
    On the "foreach ($TargetUser in $TargetUsers)" loop, you need to use "$TargetUser.Property"

Try this:

ForEach ($TargetUser in $TargetUsers) { 
        Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $TargetUser.PrimarySmtpAddress -LicenseOptions $O365EntE3
            Try
            {
                Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $TargetUser.PrimarySmtpAddress -AddLicenses tenent:EMS -ErrorAction Stop
            }
            Catch
            {
                Write-Warning "EMS Licence already assigned to TargetUser.PrimarySmtpAddress"
            }
        }

Jamie
    Participant

You beat me to it.....I've been having a play around and the figured out the following works which is pretty much exactly what you said!:

foreach ($User in $TargetUsers) {
        Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $User.UserPrincipalName -LicenseOptions $O365EntE3
        Write-Information -MessageData "All Office 365 Enterprise E3 services enabled for $($User.UserPrincipalName)" -InformationAction Continue
            Try
            {
                Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $User.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses tenent:EMS -ErrorAction Stop            
                Write-Information -MessageData "EMS Product enabled for $($SUser.UserPrincipalName)" -InformationAction Continue
            }
            Catch
            {
                Write-Warning "EMS Licence already assigned to $($User.UserPrincipalName)"
            }
        }

Noted of when to use the $_.Property. Thanks for the advice.

Vandrey Trindade
    Participant

Great! Glad that it worked! 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.