Attempting to Run Application on Remote Machine

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike Mike 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I'm writing a PowerShell script that takes a series of remote computer names and runs a custom malware scan on a targeted subdirectory on each computer. I have successfully used[i] psexec[/i] to accomplish this from the command line, but now want to use a PowerShell script. [i]psexec[/i] resident on my computer and the antimalware application ([i]MpCmdRun[/i]) is resident on the target computer:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysinternals\psexec.exe" \\computername "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe" -scan -scantype 3 –File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\
    [hr]
    My first attempt to use a PowerShell script used the [i]Invoke-Command[/i] cmdlet:

Import-CSV D:\test.csv | ForEach-Object {
    $computer = $_.ComputerName

Invoke-Command -computername $computer {"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe" -scan -scantype 3 -File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\}

}

I received the following error message:

You must provide a value expression on the right-hand side of the '-' operator.
    At H:\My Documents\PowerShell Scripts\specialscan2.ps1:15 char:112
    + Invoke-Command -computername $computer {"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe" – < <<< scan -scantype 3 -File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\} + CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExpectedValueExpression [hr] I have had some success with the following script:

$computers = Get-Content "D:\ test.csv"

ForEach ($computer in $computers) {

if (Test-Connection -Computername $computer -quiet) {
    & "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysinternals\psexec.exe" \\$computer "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -scan -scantype 3 -File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\

} else {

"$computer is not online"
    }
    }

This script does run the desired antimalware scan but I still am getting this error:

psexec.exe :
    At H:\My Documents\PowerShell Scripts\specialscan1A.ps1:10 char:6
    + & <<<< "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysinternals\psexec.exe" \\$computer "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -scan -scantype 3 -File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:String) [], RemoteException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError What am I missing? Is there a better approach to this task (e.g. Get-Process or another cmdlet)?

Profile photo of Sam Boutros
    Sam Boutros
    Participant

try invoke-expression

Profile photo of Mike
      Mike
      Participant

Thank you! Both of your suggestions have been been helpful.

Profile photo of Martin Nielsen
    Martin Nielsen
    Participant

You forgot the &.

Invoke-Command -computername $computer { & "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe" -scan -scantype 3 -File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\ }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.