Auto Discover on Exchange

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roman Varivoda Roman Varivoda 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Roman Varivoda
    Roman Varivoda
    Participant

How would i go about disabling auto discover on server 2011 and 2012 but not the exchange itself just the auto discover any feed back would be appreciated was able to do it with power-shell on server 2008 but not 11 and 12

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Can you be more specific?

What auto discover feature are you talking about, and what exactly is "server 2011?"

Roman Varivoda
    Participant

This is regarding the small business server 2011 as for the feature I'm talking about its when you have a client PC on your network it will automatically run the autodiscovery on outlook for the local network rather than looking outside the network sorry that was not more specific so i want to know the Exchange Management Shell command to disable the local exchange from being seen

Here is an example for SBS 2008
    Remove-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -Identity "SBSAutodiscover (SBS Web Applications)

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kristinw/archive/2013/04/19/controlling-outlook-autodiscover-behavior.aspx describes the behavior Outlook uses for auto discovery of Exchange servers. It doesn't really have anything to do with the server as far as I'm aware. It's mainly Service Connection Points (SCPs) in Active Directory, and DNS records. So I imagine it would involve modifying one of those things. I'm not aware of a PowerShell command that specifically deals with this.

For the SCP method, which is what Outlook tries first if the client belongs to a domain, Exchange creates the SCP record during setup. The record exists in Active Directory in a Global Catalog server. You can change this by using Exchange's Set-ClientAccessServer cmdlet, using the -AutodiscoverServiceInternalURL. This makes a change to Active Directory, not to Exchange. It should work for any version of Exchange.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125157(v=exchg.160).aspx has the documentation for the command, along with examples. You may need to run the command ON the Exchange Server to ensure you're getting the correct version of the command for that server.

I should point out that SBS is a little unusual, and I'm not sure if messing with it in this fashion would be safe.

Roman Varivoda
    Participant

Thank you for the help that is a little different from what I was able to come up with I will have to try it out and if I have further questions I will ask again, Thank you and have a great day

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.