Author Posts

July 11, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Hi,

Since we are continously creating DNS records for some of our Linux-Based Server we came up with the idea idea of doing it a little bit more automatize so we though using powershell for it and this was the result:

#Import CSV File
$Data = import-csv -Delimiter ";" -Path .\DNS_List.csv

#Creation of the Session with the DC
$Session = New-PSSession -ComputerName CWVEP009

#Creation of DNS Records according to the CSV File
$Data | ForEach-Object {

$Name = $_.name
    $ZoneName = $_.zonename
    $Ip = [IPAddress]$_.ip

Write-Output $Name
    Write-Output $ZoneName
    Write-Output $Ip

Invoke-Command -Session $Session -ScriptBlock {Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA -Name '$Name' -ZoneName '$ZoneName' -AllowUpdateAny -IPv4Address '$Ip.IPAddressToString' -TimeToLive 01:00:00}

}

Unfortunately, we were not succesfull with our goal yet because we are getting this error over a over again:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'IPv4Address'. Cannot convert value "$Ip.IPAddressToString" to type "System.Net.IPAddress[]". Error:
"Cannot convert value "$Ip.IPAddressToString" to type "System.Net.IPAddress". Error: "An invalid IP address was specified.""
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA], ParameterBindin...mationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA
+ PSComputerName : DC01Test

I ran out of ideas... have you faced something similar??

July 11, 2018 at 6:23 pm

So, you're doing a couple of odd things. For one, this:

'$Ip.IPAddressToString'

Won't work. Single quotes don't have the magic variable stuff, and even in double quotes you can't call methods and properties all naked like that.

"$($Ip.IPAddressToString)"

Is what you likely mean. But I don't understand why you're doing this; you've cast $_.ip as [ipaddress], but then you're just returning a string. Why not just use $_.ip as-is, instead of casting it back and forth?

July 11, 2018 at 6:24 pm

(and those Write-Output commands should technically be Write-Verbose, as what you're currently outputting is not the intended "result" of your script... but this is a nit-pick, not a functional problem)

July 11, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Why are you converting $Ip back to a string?

Invoke-Command -Session $Session -ScriptBlock {Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA -Name '$Name' -ZoneName '$ZoneName' -AllowUpdateAny -IPv4Address '$Ip.IPAddressToString' -TimeToLive 01:00:00}

Call it like this

Invoke-Command -Session $Session -ScriptBlock {Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA -Name '$Name' -ZoneName '$ZoneName' -AllowUpdateAny -IPv4Address $Ip -TimeToLive 01:00:00}

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dnsserver/add-dnsserverresourcerecord?view=win10-ps

August 27, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Hi bob,

If I call it like that I get the following error:

"Cannot validate argument on parameter 'IPv4Address'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again."

August 27, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Hi Don,

I get the following when I run the script with "$($Ip.IPAddressToString)" suggestion:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'IPv4Address'. Cannot convert value "" to type "System.Net.IPAddress[]". Error: "Cannot convert value "" to type

"System.Net.IPAddress". Error: "An invalid IP address was specified.""