Batch Append Filenames

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

by Mondeoman at 2012-08-22 17:59:27

Hi all, I am trying to find a powershell script that would help me with creating and renaming in the following scenario:
    I have lots of single video files ("Videonames.avi") in seperate folders, also included in each folder is a single image file ("Pictures.jpg"). What I would like to do is create a 2nd identical Image File ("Pictures.jpg") and rename this Image to the single Video Filename

Example Before:
    C:\Temp\Videos\Terminator\Terminator (1984).avi
    C:\Temp\Videos\Terminator\Picture.jpg

Example After:
    C:\Temp\Videos\Terminator\Terminator (1984).avi
    C:\Temp\Videos\Terminator\Picture.jpg
    C:\Temp\Videos\Terminator\Terminator (1984).jpg

Many thanks to anyone that can help.
    As I am a noobie at powershell, I do have other questions to ask later if this can be solved.

by JeffH at 2012-08-22 18:20:59

This is a little tricky and certainly not intuitive for a beginner. But assuming the video folders are all top level, such as under C:\temp\videos, something like this will work.

dir c:\temp\videos | where {$_.PSIscontainer} | foreach {
    $avi=dir $_.fullname -filter *.avi
    $jpg=dir $_.fullname -filter Picture.jpg
    $newname=Join-path $_.fullname -child "$($avi.basename).jpg"
    $jpg | copy-item -dest $newname -passthru
    }

The first part gets just the directories under C:\Temp\Videos. Then for each directory I'm getting the AVI and JPG file objects. This will only work if there is a single AVI. I get the basename from the AVi, and use it to define a new name. Finally I copy the jpg using the new name as the destination.

by Mondeoman at 2012-08-23 03:19:31

Excellent Jeff and thank you.
    Will be back shortly with a few more tricky questions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.