Best practices for outputting objects (Inserting via invoke-SQLCMD)

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Best practices for outputting objects (Inserting via invoke-SQLCMD)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  cmac76 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

Hi all,

I am after some advice from the community with regards to how best handle the following Scenario:

In reference to the following Best Practices when writing PowerShell tools

*A Tool does one thing.
    *Objects are the only form of pipeline output emitted.

I have written a tool to Insert data into a SQL Database via Invoke-SQLCMD (I am generalizing the code and removing a lot of itĀ  to protect identity)

$ComputerName = "ServerA"
    $Geolocation = "ACountry"

Invoke-Sqlcmd -Database $Database -ServerInstance $ServerInstance -Query "Insert into Details(ComputerName, Geolocation) VALUES ('$ComputerName','$Geolocation')"

When this runs you get no feedback from PowerShell and I cant see anything I can use on the pipeline- but it certainly is adding data into the DB, so something is happening there.... I am aware of new parameters with invoke-sqlcmd like -outputasĀ  but playing around with these gives me nothing.

How do I design the above so that it outputs objects.. but also not adding any extra activities in the tool..

The topic ‘Best practices for outputting objects (Inserting via invoke-SQLCMD)’ is closed to new replies.