Binding SSL Certificate to Website IIS 7

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Christopher Warren Christopher Warren 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Christopher Warren
    Christopher Warren
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to bind a SSL certificate to a website but I just can't figure out what is wrong. When I run this it actually creates a binding but does not add the SSL certificate.

This is the error I receive:

new-item : Invalid SSL binding name, please use format 'IPAddress!port'.
    At line:5 char:57
    + Get-Item -Path "Cert:\LocalMachine\My\$SSLthumbprint" | new-item -Path IIS:\SslB ...

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

I'm not sure it wants the host name in the binding, there. Keep in mind that with SSL, the entire socket is encrypted, so the actual host header doesn't get read out of the request, unless you've got slightly fancier stuff happening. So it's just the IP address and port, right?

Profile photo of Matt Bloomfield
    Matt Bloomfield
    Participant

Not an IIS expert but currently working through Learn Windows IIS in a Month of Lunches.

Do you already have a certificate bound to that IP address, perhaps on another website on the same server?

Each individual IP address can only have 1 certificate bound to it. So if you're binding the certificate to the host names but the host names all share an IP it won't work.

Each host name either needs its own IP address or you need a wildcard certificate or you can upgrade to IIS 8 which supports Server Name Indication (SNI).

Profile photo of Christopher Warren
    Christopher Warren
    Participant

Thanks Don!

I removed the host header and left it as the IP and port and it bound to the site properly. I appreciate the help

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.