Bios Date -> year only

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Emanuel Delvoye Emanuel Delvoye 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Emanuel Delvoye
    Emanuel Delvoye
    Participant

I'm trying to get the year from the bios releasedate, The following command gives me an empty result:

Get-CimInstance Win32_BIOS | Select-Object @{n="ReleaseDate";e={$_.ConvertToDateTime($_.ReleaseDate).year()}}

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

This will work – assuming the release date is populated

£> Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Bios | select ReleaseDate

ReleaseDate
    ———–
    12/05/2014 01:00:00

With the WMI cmdlets you had to convert the date – you also have a bug in your code as Year is a property not a method. So use this

Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS | Select-Object @{n="ReleaseDate";e={($_.ConvertToDateTime($_.ReleaseDate)).Year}}

OR

the CIM cmdlet returns the date in a string so you need to extract the year

Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Bios | select @{N='ReleaseYear'; E={(($_.ReleaseDate -split "/")[2] -split " ")[0]}}

You can't easily assume date format – .NET needs dates in MM/DD/YYYY to convert string to date

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

I'm pretty sure the Get-CimInstance cmdlet will return the property as a DateTime object, not a string. Does this work for you?

(Get-CimInstance Win32_BIOS).ReleaseDate.Year

Profile photo of Stephen Owen
    Stephen Owen
    Participant

How about this?

Get-CimInstance Win32_BIOS | Select-Object @{n="ReleaseDate";e={$_.ReleaseDate | select -expand Year}}

Profile photo of Emanuel Delvoye
    Emanuel Delvoye
    Participant

Thank you all for the replies. It all worked.. I ended up using the following:

Get-CimInstance Win32_BIOS | Select-Object @{n="ReleaseDate";e={$_.ReleaseDate.year}}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.