BizTalk Snapin

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

nrodgers
    Participant

I'm new to BizTalk and am unsure how to approach something. I am using the BizTalkFactory.Powershell.Extensions SnapIn which I have scripted some things like starting and stopping host instances etc. This script works just fine when I run it as x86. However I also have some code that does a bunch of other things like creating, stopping removing IIS application pools etc which seem to not work as x86. If I add all my code snipits into one continuous script as I need to I have to switch back and forth between x86 and x64.

Is there a way to load the BizTalk snapin to run under x64 or call the x86 snipits from the x64 script? I currently have something like:

&C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe {
        Write "Switch to 32-bit mode to register Powershell extension"
        LoadBizTalkSnapin
        StopHostInstances
        StopApplications
        UninstallBizTalkApplications
        Write "Exit this instance of 32 bit shell"
    }
    UninstallApplications
    StopApplicationPools
    if($BareBones){
        RemoveApplicationPools
        RemoveFromGAC
        DeleteFolder
            Write "Switch to 32-bit mode to register Powershell extension"
            RemoveAdapterBinding
            RemoveHost
            RemoveHostInstance
            Write "Exit this instance of 32 bit shell"
        }
    }

Previously when I tested the code below it worked:

Add-PSSnapin -Name BizTalkFactory.Powershell.Extensions
        New-PSDrive -Name BizTalk -PSProvider BizTalk -Root "BizTalk:\" -Instance $DBInstance -Database BizTalkMgmtDb
    }

However, once I changed the actual code to refer to functions I have written it no longer worked. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be extremely appreciated.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Short answer: no.

Also, there's no long answer. 64-bit and 32-bit don't play along in the same runspace. However...

However, once I changed the actual code to refer to functions I have written it no longer worked. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be extremely appreciated.

I don't think I understand what you're saying. "...refer to functions I have written?"

nrodgers
    Participant

What I meant about using a function was...
    The following works without using a function:

New-PSDrive -Name BizTalk -PSProvider BizTalk -Root "BizTalk:\" -Instance $DBInstance -Database BizTalkMgmtDb
    }

However this does not work:

function BizTalkSnapin{
    }

BizTalkSnapin
    }

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Ok, sure – that's because, in a new PowerShell.exe instance, your functions don't exist and aren't loaded by default. Look what you've done there: You've defined the function, but then launched a brand-new copy of PowerShell. That copy is a whole new process and doesn't know about your function.

For that to work, your function would need to be in a script module (.psm1) file, properly located in one of the module folders where PowerShell "knows" to look. Assuming you're using PowerShell v2 or later.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.