Bring window (Excel) to foreground?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt Howard Matt Howard 6 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Phil
    Phil
    Participant

I'd like to be able to open an Excel file, then bring it to the foreground. I've seen older extensions, and old DLL-based approaches, but I don't want to get too far off the "beaten path". Using PowerShell 5, is there an easy way for my code below to bring the Excel file to the foreground? The code below works fine, but it leaves the opened Excel file visible, but in the background.

$Excel = New-Object -ComObject Excel.Application
    $Workbook = $Excel.Workbooks.Open("MyExcelFile.xlsx")
    $Excel.Visible = $true
    $Excel.DisplayFullScreen = $true

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Nope. PowerShell isn't a GUI automation tool. You'll need to dive into those old DLL things. Which you're already doing with that COM object for Excel :).

Profile photo of Fredrik Kacsmarck
    Fredrik Kacsmarck
    Participant

Is there a reason for doing it with com-object and Powershell?

I mean if you want to automate stuff with Excel then you could have a look at my blog post regarding powershell and using the EPPlus .net library.

psFredrik

Profile photo of Matt Howard
    Matt Howard
    Participant

Take a look at this post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4993926/maximize-window-and-bring-it-in-front-with-powershell

The accepted answer has a link to the PowerShell Community Extensions module which has a cmdlet to bring a window to the foreground.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.