Author Posts

October 2, 2014 at 6:38 am

Hi All,

Apologies for what probably is a stupid question.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro, installed the Azure AD Module, and SharePoint Online Module (which required .net 3)

I went to enable some additional features like telnet client with an add-windowsfeature but I got the error cmdlet unknown. Same thing with Get-WindowsFeature, or Install-WindowsFeature.

I tried the same in ISE, it is like these cmdlets don't exist anymore.

Im not sure where or how to go about troubleshooting missing cmdlets.

Any help?

October 2, 2014 at 7:00 am

sfc /scannow came back fine (as expected)

October 2, 2014 at 7:49 am

so I found that the servermanager module is completely missing.

I have copied it from another PC but that did not help.

PS C:\Windows\system32> import-module servermanager
import-module : The module to process 'Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.PowerShell', listed in field 'NestedModules' of
module manifest 'C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\servermanager\servermanager.psd1' was not
processed because no valid module was found in any module directory.
At line:1 char:1
+ import-module servermanager
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (servermanager:String) [Import-Module], PSInvalidOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleFileNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

October 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

So apparently ServerManager is not part of 8.1 🙁 always the last to know.

Anyone have any links to why? how?

October 2, 2014 at 9:19 am

Check to make sure you still have the Server Manager feature installed under Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features On or Off. The PowerShell module and the Server Manager console get installed together; it's under "Remtoe Server Administration Tools".

October 2, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Well as it turned out, I didn't have the RSAT installed at all yet (new install). I didn't realise there had been this change though, its probably too far back to remember accurately but I thought with windows 7 ServerManager was available by default, certainly the add-windowsfeature cmdlet worked against the local computer.

Of course none of the documentation I have read on TechNet suggests that RSAT is required, but I guess that could just be that I haven't found the right page yet!

October 3, 2014 at 5:40 am

Windows 7 doesn't include the ServerManager module, no. It's in the RSAT. And the one for Windows 7/Win2008 is pretty different from Windows 8/Win2012, although the newer ones include some aliases to help keep things looking the same.