Bulk un-hide users from GAL

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BlackBoxCoder BlackBoxCoder 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Siddra
    Siddra
    Participant

I have run this command to export a list of users:

Get-Mailbox –ResultSize Unlimited | Where {$_.HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled -eq $True} | Select Name, HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled | export-csv c:\hiddenGAL.csv

This part works fine but when I run the second part of the code to import the users and set the mailbox to be hidden as false, I get an error. The code is:
    $users = import-csv c:\hiddenGAL.csv | For each($_ in $users) {Set-mailcontact $_.identity -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $false}

error: Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Set-MailContact], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Set-MailContact
    + PSComputerName : ps.outlook.com

Profile photo of random commandline
    random commandline
    Participant

Your logic is not correct. If I am not mistaken, the '-Identity' parameter does not accept pipeline input.

$users = import-csv c:\hiddenGAL.csv
    foreach ($user in $users){
    Set-mailcontact $user.Name -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled:$false
    }

Profile photo of Siddra
      Siddra
      Participant

thanks but I'm getting a different error now:

The operation couldn't be performed because object 'Sara Manson' couldn't be found on
      'DB3PR02A002DC05.EURPR02A002.prod.outlook.com'.
      + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-MailContact], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=HE1PR0201MB2027,RequestId=00816075-1999-4940-8430-e44d22657b31,TimeStamp=12/5/20
      16 2:43:13 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ManagementObjectNotFoundException] 11A63030,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.R
      ecipientTasks.SetMailContact
      + PSComputerName : ps.outlook.com

Profile photo of Ron
      Ron
      Participant

You should capture samaccountname, alias or distinguishedname instead. Name is the CN and might not be unique.

Profile photo of Siddra
      Siddra
      Participant

Hi,

I have ammended the original code to export the user principal name instead of name and this works exactly like i want it to. the above code when importing the csv throws an error please help:

$users = import-csv c:\hiddenGALnew.csv
      Set-mailcontact $user.UserPrincipalName –HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $false
      }

the error is:

The operation couldn't be performed because object 'username@xxxxxx.org' couldn't be found on
      'DB3PR02A002DC05.EURPR02A002.prod.outlook.com'.
      + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-MailContact], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=HE1PR0201MB2027,RequestId=8d7899e2-3098-4228-aee4-adbc16b239af,TimeStamp=1/25/20
      17 11:27:49 AM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ManagementObjectNotFoundException] A2F21E7,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.R
      ecipientTasks.SetMailContact
      + PSComputerName : outlook.office365.com

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

I don't see a UPN in the help for Set-MailContact. I would use the DistinguishedName or GUID to make sure you are specifying the correct, unique ID.

Profile photo of Siddra
      Siddra
      Participant

Hi

I did this based on distinguished name and I still get an error

Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Set-MailContact], ParameterBindingValidationException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Set-MailContact
      + PSComputerName : outlook.office365.com

can you help me with the full code – im not sure where it is going wrong.

Thanks

Profile photo of BlackBoxCoder
    BlackBoxCoder
    Participant

I would try:

Get-Mailbox -Identity $user | Set-mailcontact –HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $false

BR,
    BBC

Profile photo of Siddra
      Siddra
      Participant

Hi BlackBoxCoder

Im really struggling with this one – please can you help with the full code. Below is the code from the thread

$users = import-csv c:\hiddenGAL.csv
      Set-mailcontact $user.Name -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled:$false
      }

From your input would it be
      ****************$users = import-csv c:\hiddenGAL.csv
      Get-Mailbox -Identity $user | Set-mailcontact –HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $false
      } ************* i tried this and still get errors

Profile photo of BlackBoxCoder
      BlackBoxCoder
      Participant

hey, I am not a big friend of 1line-Archivments, but why not like this:

Get-Mailbox –ResultSize Unlimited | Where {$_.HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled -eq $True} | Set-mailcontact –HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled:$false

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.