Bypassing windows during processes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nathan Combs
    Nathan Combs

I am almost finished with my script that gets rid of certain windows updates and hides them but after an unistall it asks if you want to restart I cannot seem to get my

$wshell = New-Object -ComObject;
    $wshell.AppActivate('Windows Update Standalone Installer')
    Sleep 2

could I put two keys one to tab and one to enter? maybe an IF statement to say if true for unistalling then hit these two keys? I am newer to this so I don't have advanced skills for powershell. Thanks!

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers

If you are using SendKeys as a solution, it is most likely the wrong solution. In vbScript forums, I used to continually talk folks out of using it because there is no way to ensure the script is doing what it's supposed to. You're sending commands blindly to the screen and assuming that the Window you expect opened and is active when you are sending commands.

With that said, there is a programmatic way to manage hiding windows updates. Take a look at this article:

I used to create the below that hides the annoying Windows 7 language packs in my labs:

Function Get-WindowsUpdate {
        Process {
            try {
                Write-Verbose "Getting Windows Update"
                $Session = New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Session            
                $Searcher = $Session.CreateUpdateSearcher()            
                $Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Installation' or IsPresent=1 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' or IsInstalled=1 and DeploymentAction='Installation' and RebootRequired=1 or IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' and RebootRequired=1"           
                $SearchResult = $Searcher.Search($Criteria)           
            } catch {
                Write-Warning -Message "Failed to query Windows Update because $($_.Exception.Message)"
    Function Show-WindowsUpdate {
        Get-WindowsUpdate |
        Select Title,isHidden,
            @{l='Size (MB)';e={'{0:N2}' -f ($_.MaxDownloadSize/1MB)}},
            @{l='Published';e={$_.LastDeploymentChangeTime}} |
        Sort -Property Published
    Function Set-WindowsHiddenUpdate {
        Process {
            $Update | ForEach-Object -Process {
                if (($_.pstypenames)[0] -eq 'System.__ComObject#{c1c2f21a-d2f4-4902-b5c6-8a081c19a890}') {
                    try {
                        $_.isHidden = $Hide
                        Write-Verbose -Message "Dealing with update $($_.Title)"
                    } catch {
                        Write-Warning -Message "Failed to perform action because $($_.Exception.Message)"
                } else {
                    Write-Warning -Message "Ignoring object submitted"
    $updates = Get-WindowsUpdate
    $updates | Where{$_.Title -like "*language*" -and $_.IsHidden -eq $false} | Set-WindowsHiddenUpdate -Hide $True
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.