Can anyone explain the 3 very small dots together ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Graham Beer Graham Beer 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Graham Beer
    Graham Beer
    Participant

I found a cool article about one of my favorite PowerShell hero's, Bruce Payette, profile:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2014/06/07/weekend-scripter-cool-powershell-profile-functions-from-bruce-payette/

It show some really neat features, but there is a part with 3 small dots very close together.

'…' { $path = '..\..' }

'….' { $path = '..\..\..' }

How do you generate them from a keyboard ? I can see they are calling different "location" sets.

Profile photo of Wilfredo Perez
    Wilfredo Perez
    Participant

# cd … # go up 2 levels. It also says it the $path

Graham Beer
    Participant

How do you create the 3 dots ? It doesn't seem as simply as doing ...

Profile photo of Bob McCoy
    Bob McCoy
    Participant

You don't "generate" them from the keyboard. Three dots is an ellipsis. And certain word processors (like Word) will auto-correct the three dots into an ellipsis character (Unicode 2026). This is a typography artifact and NOT relevant to PowerShell. Type three periods.

In a document, if you intentionally wanted to insert the single-character ellipsis, you could use their character/symbol dialog and find it. Or you could enter Alt+0133 (the 0133 must be entered from the numeric keypad).

Graham Beer
    Participant

Genius Bob ! Thanks, learnt something there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.