Can I automate these files with a script?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Can I automate these files with a script?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 1

On my company’s shared drive there is a folder called FOLDERNAME. In that folder there is a subfolder called FILES. I need a script that will check for the existence of a folder named CURRENTMONTH.YEAR

i.e. if it ran today it would be looking for a folder named October.2020. If it doesn’t find the folder then it creates one. Then it should copy all the files with a creation date that matches the month and year and moves them from the source folder to the current month folder.

I’m very new to powershell and I don’t even know where to begin with something like this, or if it’s even something I can do with a script. Any ideas or leads for me?

Inactive
      Topics: 7
      Replies: 17

@amay012704 – Welcome to the world of Powershell.

Some of the commands that you will need to be familiar with is the Get-Command and Get-Help cmdlets.

You can use wildcards to search for a command that may work for what you are trying to accomplish. For example: Get-Command *copy* or Get-Help *copy*

Also outline what the process will entail.

• Get contents of a share drive folder “FILES” – Look into Get-ChildItem = Get-Help Get-ChildItem -full
        • Create condition to search for folder CURRENTMONTH.YEAR folder
          • If (condition is true) {
            • Move files to current month folder}
            • Else {
              • Create folder – Look into New-Item = Get-Help New-Item
                • Then Copy files unto new folder}

Just a quick summary of what your process may involve but of course it’s however you see fit; What I’ve learned is that there are numerous ways to achieve a result. Really no wrong way if we leave out the Powershell ethics. 😉

Hope that helps is some way.

Participant
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 170
      Helping Hand

This code might help you get started with checking for the folder and creating if it does not exist. Change $FileLocation to a valid path.

$Date = Get-Date
      $FileLocation = "\\SERVER\SHARE\FOLDERNAME\FILES"
      $AryMonths = @("January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June", "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December")
      $CurrentFolder = Join-Path $FileLocation "$($AryMonths[$Date.Month - 1]).$($Date.Year)"

If (!(Test-Path $CurrentFolder)) {
      New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $CurrentFolder | Out-Null
      }

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.