Can this be made?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Garmin Garmin 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Garmin
    Garmin
    Participant

I have something i want to make with powershell. I'll try to explain. I have a folder with 70000 files, named 5 numbers 12345 or 54327 ect ect (in fact they are .doc .xls of .pdf but i can't see).

I also have 1 .csv with 4 columns. "name", "client-number" ,"the number" of the corresponding file from the folder i mentioned and the "extention". So i would like to make a script that looks in the .cvs to match the numbers with the files from the folder. On a match it should rename the filename with "bsn+name". It also has to change the extention of the file with the corresponding extention mentioned in the .csv

So \folderxx\123456 becomes \folderx\123456798clientname.doc
    Can this be done? And how do i do this?

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I have attempted your problem with limited time available but enjoy something new in PowerShell. Some very experienced scripters who contribute here may pull this apart / modify / improve. I am still learning my way but wanted to try and contribute – or give you something to possibly start with. The below would need testing in your environment and need some error checking wrapped around it. I have made some assumptions on your file format. I have used a C:\temp\files as a location for the files, and a dummy CSV file.

$fileList=Get-ChildItem -Path $FolderPath

$FolderPath='C:\temp\Files'
    $CSVPath='c:\temp\files\csv.csv'

$DB = Import-Csv $CSVPath

$DBCount=($db.Count)

for($i=0; $i -lt $DBCount; $I++){

$targetNumber = $db[$i].number

if($targetNumber){

Get-ChildItem -Path $FolderPath -Filter "$targetNumber.*" | Rename-Item -NewName ($($DB[$i].name)+ ($($db[$i].clientnumber) + $($db[$i]).extension ))

}
    }

Profile photo of Garmin
    Garmin
    Participant

Thank you Andrew. Your answer really helpt me started. I'm new at programming but i got most of it working. But
    I also have a column category in my csv. After renaming the file i'd like to move the file to Basefolder\$category. I can not get it to work. Can it be done with piping after the rename-item?

Profile photo of Max Kozlov
    Max Kozlov
    Participant

example here

Get-Item C:\111 | Rename-Item -NewName "222" -PassThru | Move-Item -Destination D:\333\

the key is -PassThru

Profile photo of Garmin
    Garmin
    Participant

Hello Max,
    Thank you for your help.

My problem is that the destination folder is in the csv file.

Name,cltnr,volnaam,categorie,extension
    84897,123456789,example-file,file-folder,pdf

Rename-Item -NewName ($($DB[$i].name)+ ($($db[$i].cltnr) + "." + $($db[$i]).extension )) -PassThru | Move-Item -Destination $FolderPath + "\" + ($($DB[$i].categorie)) does not work

I also tried Join-Path but this does not work

Profile photo of Max Kozlov
    Max Kozlov
    Participant

you just need to take destination into brackets. and not need to use variables with $() – its need only inside strings

#instead of
    $FolderPath + "\" + ($($DB[$i].categorie))
    #use
    ($FolderPath + "\" + $DB[$i].categorie)
    #or
    (Join-Path $FolderPath $DB[$i].categorie)
    #here I show $() usage but i think join-path is better. note the double quotes outside
    "$FolderPath\$($DB[$i].categorie)"

Profile photo of Garmin
    Garmin
    Participant

I'd like to thank everyone for there support and suggestions
    My script is done 🙂
    Thanx

Profile photo of Tommy
      Tommy
      Participant

Would you mind sharing the finished script? I'm having a similar situation and would love to have a look.

Profile photo of Garmin
    Garmin
    Participant

This is the script i ended up with.... 🙂

$fileList=Get-ChildItem -Path $FolderPath

$FolderPath='C:\temp\Files'
    $CSVPath='c:\temp\files\csv3.csv'

$DB = Import-Csv C:\temp\files\csv3.csv -delimiter ';'

$DBCount=($db.Count)

for($i=0; $i -lt $DBCount; $I++){

$targetNumber = $db[$i].number
    #write-host = $targetnumber
    $path1 = $DB[$i].bsn
    $path4 = $DB[$i].naam
    $path5 = $DB[$i].categorie
    $path3 = ($path1) + ("@") + ($path4) + "\" + ($path5)
    $Path2 = (Join-Path $FolderPath $DB[$i].categorie)
    #write-host = $path1
    #write-host = $path4
    write-host = $path3
    #write-host = $path2

if($targetNumber){

Get-ChildItem -Path $FolderPath -Filter "$targetNumber.*" | Rename-Item -NewName ($($DB[$i].volnaam)+ ($($db[$i].cltnr) + "." + $($db[$i]).extentie )) -PassThru |Move-Item -Destination $path3
    }
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.