Can't add Windows System Variable

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Kozlov Max Kozlov 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of molo
    molo
    Participant

Hello,

I got error when I tried to use Windows Batch file and Powershell PS1 file to add a System Environment Variable:

Powershell PS1 file:
    [System.Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable("TestVariable02", "Test value 02", "Machine");

Windows Batch file:
    powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "C:\Details\Powershell\test.ps1"

Error:
    Exception calling “SetEnvironmentVariable” with “3” argument(s): “Requested registry access is not allowed.”

My Windows login account has already been added to the local Administrator Group.
    But still got the above error.
    However, if I used local Administrator to login and then ran the BAT file, it worked fine. No error.

How can I fix the error? Where is the cause of the error?

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

You have start the cmd "as administrator" even if your account is already local Administrator. But why do you use a batch file to run a powershell script? You can run the Powershell script directly (but anyway you have to run it "as administrator").

Profile photo of molo
      molo
      Participant

Thanks.

I ran it as a batch file as I wanted to run it in schedule.
      You suggested 'Run as administrator', but how can we do it if we run a powershell script in schedule?

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
      Olaf Soyk
      Participant

I don't have an english client at the moment to look it up but it should be on the first tab when you create a new scheduled task and it should be something like execute or run with highest privileges.

... found this screenshot ...

Schedlued Tasks ... it's almost on the bottom ...

Profile photo of Max Kozlov
    Max Kozlov
    Participant

you can run powershell directly from scheduler, and tick 'execute with highghest privileges'

you can even run

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "[System.Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable('TestVariable02', 'Test value 02', 'Machine')"

if you need to run only this command

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.