Can't display help about_ topics

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ken Blaszak Ken Blaszak 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ken Blaszak
    Ken Blaszak
    Participant

Hi, I'm pretty new to PowerShell, and I'm trying to access the conceptual about_ topics. I have two machines running Windows 10 – one is 1511 and the other is 1607; neither of them show anywhere near the number of about_ files that exist on the machine. for example, on my laptop:

PS C:\> get-help about_*

Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
    ----                              --------  ------                    --------
    about_BeforeEach_AfterEach        HelpFile                            performed at the beginning and end of every It...
    about_Mocking                     HelpFile                            Pester provides a set of Mocking functions mak...
    about_Pester                      HelpFile                            Pester is a BDD based test runner for PowerShell.
    about_should                      HelpFile                            Provides assertion convenience methods for com...
    about_TestDrive                   HelpFile                            A PSDrive for file activity limited to the sco...

I have tried running update-help -force, rebooting, etc with no luck.

When I try to run example 4 in the TechNet article here I get the below output. What am I missing?

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-help about_signing

Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
    ----                              --------  ------                    --------
    Get-Help                          Cmdlet    Microsoft.PowerShell.Core Displays information about Windows PowerShell commands a...
    Out-Printer                       Cmdlet    Microsoft.PowerShell.U... Sends output to a printer.
    Get-AuthenticodeSignature         Cmdlet    Microsoft.PowerShell.S... Gets information about the Authenticode signature for a ...

Ken Blaszak
    Participant

condensed into first post

Profile photo of Matt Bloomfield
    Matt Bloomfield
    Participant

What am I missing?

Most of the about_ help topics 🙂

This is a known problem. You can either copy them from a working computer or use this script.

Ken Blaszak
    Participant

Thanks for the info. The really confusing part is that C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US contains what appear to be many of the same files without only a .txt extension instead of .help.txt. When I rename them they work reasonably well. The synopsis doesn't work, and the formatting is garbage. The text is largely the same, though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.