Can't display help about_ topics

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Can't display help about_ topics

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

Participant

Hi, I'm pretty new to PowerShell, and I'm trying to access the conceptual about_ topics. I have two machines running Windows 10 – one is 1511 and the other is 1607; neither of them show anywhere near the number of about_ files that exist on the machine. for example, on my laptop:

PS C:\> get-help about_*

Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
    ----                              --------  ------                    --------
    about_BeforeEach_AfterEach        HelpFile                            performed at the beginning and end of every It...
    about_Mocking                     HelpFile                            Pester provides a set of Mocking functions mak...
    about_Pester                      HelpFile                            Pester is a BDD based test runner for PowerShell.
    about_should                      HelpFile                            Provides assertion convenience methods for com...
    about_TestDrive                   HelpFile                            A PSDrive for file activity limited to the sco...

I have tried running update-help -force, rebooting, etc with no luck.

When I try to run example 4 in the TechNet article here I get the below output. What am I missing?

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-help about_signing

Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
    ----                              --------  ------                    --------
    Get-Help                          Cmdlet    Microsoft.PowerShell.Core Displays information about Windows PowerShell commands a...
    Out-Printer                       Cmdlet    Microsoft.PowerShell.U... Sends output to a printer.
    Get-AuthenticodeSignature         Cmdlet    Microsoft.PowerShell.S... Gets information about the Authenticode signature for a ...

Participant

condensed into first post

Participant

What am I missing?

Most of the about_ help topics 🙂

This is a known problem. You can either copy them from a working computer or use this script.

Participant

Thanks for the info. The really confusing part is that C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US contains what appear to be many of the same files without only a .txt extension instead of .help.txt. When I rename them they work reasonably well. The synopsis doesn't work, and the formatting is garbage. The text is largely the same, though.

The topic ‘Can't display help about_ topics’ is closed to new replies.