Can't seem to catch an error when trying to check if an AD domain exist.

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Can't seem to catch an error when trying to check if an AD domain exist.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I am running the following code and even when I use $ErrorActionPreference = 'STOP' and Try and Catch, I still cannot grab the error.

$DomainName = "TestDomain"
    $DomainContext = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryContext("Domain", $DomainName)
    $Domain = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain]::GetDomain($DomainContext)
    $Root = $Domain.GetDirectoryEntry()
    $Root

I simply want to be able to catch the following error that this will produce:

Exception calling "GetDomain" with "1" argument(s): "The specified domain does not exist or
    cannot be contacted."
    At line:5 char:1
    + $Domain = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain]::GetDomain($DomainCo ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException

Is there a way to do this so I can write-output, or write-warning messages myself to control what is displayed?

Thanks

Participant

This worked for me with, and without, a valid AD domain name, and I didn't need to modify the default error action.

$DomainName = "NotADomain"
    try {
        $DomainContext = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryContext("Domain", $DomainName)
        $Domain = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain]::GetDomain($DomainContext)
        $Root = $Domain.GetDirectoryEntry()
        $Root
    } catch [System.Management.Automation.MethodInvocationException] {
        Write-Output -Verbose 'Error: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.'
    } catch {
        Write-Output -Verbose 'Error: Unspecified error.'
    }

Participant

Great!

That worked perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help, it's much appreciated.

The topic ‘Can't seem to catch an error when trying to check if an AD domain exist.’ is closed to new replies.