Can't Set New-ItemProperty to Registry Path Containing Astrix

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mica
    Mica
    Participant

While converting a few .reg files to .ps1, I've run into a problem with this script:

$key = "Registry::HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad"
    New-Item -Path $key"\Command" -Value "Notepad.exe `"%1`"" -Force
    New-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name "Icon" -Value "Notepad.exe" -PropertyType String -Force

While New-Item creates the key just fine, New-ItemProperty is getting hung up on the astrix in the path, interpreting it as a wildcard. Is there any way around this?

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

Use single quotes instead of double quotes around your key string. Single quotes indicate a string literal.

$key = 'Registry::HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad'
    New-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name "Icon" -Value "Notepad.exe" -PropertyType String -Force

Alternately, if you want to use double quotes, you can use a back tick to tell powershell not to interpret the special meaning of *

$key = "Registry::HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\`*\shell\Open with Notepad"

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

That's not the first time I've seen PowerShell's path abstractions have problems with the realities of the registry. (It also has trouble with paths that contain forward slashes in a key name.)

You can work around this by using the underlying .NET methods instead:

$hive = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenBaseKey('ClassesRoot', 'Default')
    $subKey = $hive.CreateSubKey('*\shell\Open with Notepad', $true)
    $subkey.SetValue('Icon', 'Notepad.exe', 'String')
    $subKey = $subKey.CreateSubKey('Command', $true)
    $subkey.SetValue($null, "Notepad.exe `"%1`"", 'String')

I'm not 100% sure if I've translated your code properly, but you can run this and then verify the proper keys / values with regedit.

Profile photo of Mica
    Mica
    Participant

Thanks, for the tip about the single quotes, Curtis. I wasn't aware they're treated differently. Unfortunately neither option worked in this case.

Your code worked perfectly, Dave. Thanks! I guess these cmdlets never expected to have to deal with these otherwise illegal characters.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

I tested with the escape character and it worked for me. Granted, the New-ItemProperty took a while, but it completed.

$key = "Registry::HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\`*\shell\Open with Notepad"
    New-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name "Icon" -Value "Notepad.exe" -PropertyType String

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.