carriage return disappears

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roustam Akhmetov Roustam Akhmetov 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Roustam Akhmetov
    Roustam Akhmetov
    Participant

I am using this script to script out windows server logins:

$timestamp = Get-Date -Format yyyy-MM-dd

$Srv = 'MyServer\MyInstance'

SL SQLSERVER:\SQL\"$Srv"\Databases

$SQLInstance = New-Object "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server" $Srv;

$SQLInstance.name

$BatchSeperator = "`r`nGO" #$null for none, or "`r`nGO" for carriage return, line feed and batch seperator.

$so = new-object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptingOptions

$so.IncludeDatabaseContext = $false;

$so.AllowSystemObjects = $false;

$so.IncludeDatabaseRoleMemberships = $true;

$so.IncludeIfNotExists = 1

$script = "USE [master]$BatchSeperator"

$WindowsLogins = $SQLInstance.Logins | Where-Object {@("WindowsUser","WindowsGroup") -contains $_.LoginType} |% {$_.Script($so)} |% {$_.ToString()+$BatchSeperator};

$script = $script + "`r`n" + $WindowsLogins

$WindowsLogins text has the correct structure:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N'builtin\administrators')

CREATE LOGIN [builtin\administrators] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

GO

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM')

CREATE LOGIN [NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

GO

However after I concatenate it to $script variable:

$script = $script + "`r`n" + $WindowsLogins

I get this:

USE [master]

GO

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N'builtin\administrators')

CREATE LOGIN [builtin\administrators] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

GO IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM')

CREATE LOGIN [NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

GO EXEC ...

As you can see the carriage return dissapeared from the string before "IF", this gives me a syntax error when I try to use this script.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

You could try using a here string to build your final script

$BatchSeperator = "`r`nGO"

$script1 = "USE [master]$BatchSeperator"

$script = @"
    $script1

$windowslogins
    "@

$script

That will preserve the line breaks.

I've found using here strings a better way to create multi-line strings. Much easier to get the line breaks as you want

Profile photo of Roustam Akhmetov
    Roustam Akhmetov
    Participant

Thanks Richard, tried this, but it did not work. $WindowsLogins has line breaks, once I concatenate it to $script1 variable, the line breaks dissapear.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.