Case Sensitive Code Tweak

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Wyatt 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Thomas Reaves
    Participant

I worked though this bit of code a while back and with the help of the folks around here, this has been one of the best tools I have ever had. Simply, this is a script that look at a file name and breaks it apart to file it in to separate locations. The only complaint I have had is it is case sensitive. My files are structured as "Job Name – Vendor Name – Acct Name – PO number".pdf. If I Use "job name" instead of "Job Name" it creates two separate folders even though the capitals are the only difference. I would really like for this script to be a little less picky about that. Code Follows and Thank you for the help.

Get-ChildItem -path "C:\Users\treaves\Documents" -Filter *.pdf | foreach {
      #saving the $_ is unnecessary but makes the example more readable
       $currentFile = $_
       #split the values
       $Community,$vendor,$work,$po = $CurrentFile.basename -split "-"  | foreach {$_.Trim()}
      #This is where my code begins
      #This should create a vendor folder
      $Vendordestination = Join-Path -Path "P:\SyncFolder\Dropbox\Vendor Files" -ChildPath $Vendor
      #if the destination folder does not exist create it
     if (-not (Test-Path $Vendordestination))
      {
           New-Item -Path $Vendordestination -ItemType "directory" -Force
        }
    #Hopefully this will copy the file based on the vendor
    Copy-Item -Path $currentFile.fullname -Destination $Vendordestination -Force    
      #create the path to make working with it easy and error proof
       $Cmtdestination = Join-Path -Path "P:\SyncFolder\Dropbox\Builder Folder" -ChildPath $Community
      #if the destination folder does not exist create it
     if (-not (Test-Path $Cmtdestination))
      {
           New-Item -Path $Cmtdestination -ItemType "directory" -Force
        }
       #add force to rewrite files in the destination folder 
      Move-Item -Path $currentFile.fullname -Destination $Cmtdestination -Force
      #add second test path, destination and move here to move to another location.
    }

Dave Wyatt

Are you positive that the case of the letters is the only difference? The FileSystem provider that's handling those paths in Test-Path and New-Item is not case sensitive; it shouldn't be behaving the way you're describing. For example:

$Path = Join-Path -Path $env:temp -ChildPath 'SomeNewFolderName'

Test-Path $Path  # False

$null = New-Item -Path $Path -ItemType Directory

Test-Path $Path  # True

$Path = $Path.ToLower()
    $Path

Test-Path $Path  # True

New-Item -Path $Path -ItemType Directory  # Throws an error because the item already exists

Thomas Reaves
    Participant

Completely Certain. I create the PDF from an excel script every time. I have worked around it by setting up tables to look up the exact same name in most cases, but when I have a vendor that is not on that list and it does not auto populate it, If I do not type the name exactly including case, it will make new folders. 90% of the time, its not a problem, which is great, but the other 10% of the time is nearly impossible to notice until I am trying to track it down.

Dave Wyatt

Fair enough. I can't explain why it's giving you this problem, but if we throw out the assumption that the file system is not supposed to be case sensitive, you could try this:

$textInfo = [System.Globalization.CultureInfo]::CurrentCulture.TextInfo

Get-ChildItem -path "C:\Users\treaves\Documents" -Filter *.pdf | foreach {
        $currentFile = $_
        $Community,$vendor,$work,$po = $CurrentFile.basename -split "-"  | foreach { $textInfo.ToTitleCase($_.Trim()) }

# ...
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.