Certificate install Problem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ed Higginson Ed Higginson 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ed Higginson
    Ed Higginson
    Participant

I am trying to install a certificate for a website under a dsc push installation. I keep getting this error...

PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_xPfxImport failed to execute Test-TargetResource functionality with error message:
    Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Thumbprint'. '‎b748609391b8ccf7f79b9920112b527d15124a7e' is not a valid hash.
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderOperationExecutionFailure
    + PSComputerName :

This is the code I am running
    AriesThumbprint = '‎b748609391b8ccf7f79b9920112b527d15124a7e' # Aries wildcard cert
    AriesCertPath = 'D:\Supporttools\Certificates\LogViewer.pfx' # path to the Aries "Server" cert
    AriesCredential = 'LogViewer'
    CertLocation = 'LocalMachine'

xPfxImport SiteCert
    {
    Thumbprint = $Node.AriesThumbprint
    Path = $Node.AriesCertPath
    Location = $Node.CertLocation
    Store = $Node.CertStoreName
    Credential = $AriesCredential
    Exportable = $true
    Ensure = 'Present'
    DependsOn = @('[WindowsFeature]IIS')

The xCertificate module is version is version 2.3.0.0

It's got to be something simple I am overlooking. Any Ideas?
    Thanks for any help,
    Ed

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Can you verify that the thumbprint shows up correctly when you use the CERT: drive on the node, and that it shows up in the Machine store on the node?

Ed Higginson
      Participant

The thumbprint does not show up on the node at all. I am installing a website on the server and I am using this cert to encrypt traffic to that site. So it exists only on the machine I am running the configuration from.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Ok, gotcha.

So... the Credential might be the problem. I'm having some trouble following the code in the resource, though – have you considered reaching out to the author, at https://www.briantist.com/project/xpfximport-dsc-resource-for-importing-certificates-and-keys/?

Ed Higginson
      Participant

I have taken your advice and asked my question of Briantist.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.