Change Domain first

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dan D 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Dan D
    Participant

Hi
    I'm trying to clear members of an AD Group and have the working command:
    Get-ADGroupMember "RemoveUpdateTimer" | ForEach-Object {Remove-ADGroupMember "RemoveUpdateTimer" $_ -Confirm:$false}

The AD Group (RemoveUpdateTimer) and user computers are on 'Domain A' and it works locally
    The server that i want to create a scheduled task to run the command daily is on 'Domain B'

When running the command on the server manually, it says it cannot find the AD Group 'RemoveUpdateTimer' on Domain B

Question:
    How can I modify the Powershell command above, to have it look under Domain A, instead of Domain B?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

The AD commands cue off the drive you're currently connected to. When you load the module it maps an AD: drive to the domain the computer is a member of, but you can map additions ones (New-PSDrive). Change to the drive that represents a different domain, and the AD commands operate against that domain instead.

This'll be hard to do in a scheduled task, I imagine, as you'll have to make sure this isn't running under the computer's account, unless the computer's account somehow has Domain Admin permissions in Domain B.

Ron
    Participant

You can add parameters to the AD commands to specify the domain, or a domain controller to use.

Get-ADGroupMember -server domain.com ...

Remove-ADGroupMember -server dc1.domain.com ...

You'll also need to pass credentials if the scheduled job is not running as an admin in that domain.

Dan D
      Participant

Thanks, I believe that is closer to a resolution.

The purpose of my command is to remove the members from the AD Group RemoverUpdateTimer. Adding the -server no longer shows an error but also leaves me with nothing to troubleshoot,

Testing from the server domain 'Domain B' – no errors, members not removed from AD Group
      Testing from the user domain 'Domain A' – no errors, members are removed from the AD Group

How would you add a log output of the command for further troubleshooting..or how would you proceed?

Dan D
      Participant

Success:

Get-ADGroupMember -identity "RemoveUpdateTimer" -Recursive -Server "DomainB"|ForEach-Object {Remove-ADGroupMember -server "DomainB" "RemoveUpdateTimer" $_ -Confirm:$false}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.