Change Execution Policy

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Change Execution Policy

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 2

I’ve a requirement to change remote server Execution policy during my Script execution, In order to do this I’ve apt below work flow.

1. Collect Current Execution policy and assign it to Parameter
      2. Change Execution policy to Remotesigned
      3. Change Policy to old state.

I’ve tried with below code but its not allowing me to do so, Can anyone help me with your thoughts.

Step 1:
      $global:ExecutionActual = Invoke-command -computername $Windows_Name -scriptblock {Get-ExecutionPolicy -Scope LocalMachine} | Select Value -expandproperty Value

Step 2:

Invoke-command -computername $Windows_Name -scriptblock {Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -force}

Step 3:
      Invoke-command -computername $Windows_Name -scriptblock {Set-ExecutionPolicy $global:ExecutionActual -force}

I’ve issue with step 3, Below one is the sample error.

Cannot bind argument to parameter ‘ExecutionPolicy’ because it is null.
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Set-ExecutionPolicy], ParameterBindingValidationException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetExecution
      PolicyCommand

Participant
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 342
      Helping Hand

Hello Ganesh,

The error is telling you the argument for parameter ‘executionpolicy’ is null. The reason it’s null is because it is defined on the machine you are running the script on, not the remote machine. You may resolve your issue with either of the following.

Invoke-command -computername $Windows_Name -scriptblock {Set-ExecutionPolicy $args[0] -force} -ArgumentList $global:ExecutionActual

or

Invoke-command -computername $Windows_Name -scriptblock {Set-ExecutionPolicy $using:global:ExecutionActual -force}

Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 2

Thanks a lot, It’s worked for me.

Participant
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 342
      Helping Hand

Fantastic. You are welcome.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.