Change folder permissions

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

by 97browng at 2012-08-28 08:41:08

Hi All,

I am a new user of powershell and was wondering if anyone could help. Basically I want to change the permissions of one folder so that users have full access. I have worked out that I can copy the folder permissions of another file with the correct settings and use something like the below;

$acl = get-acl "\\PC1\D$\BlankFolder"
    set-acl "PC2\C$\Teating"

Now my problem is that I want to run it on several machines. I have a list of the machines (lets say PC3 – PC100) stored in a .txt file.

My first questions is how can I get it so that powershell changes the folder permissions on each PC. The text file has each computer on a seperate line (I use it for batch scripts) and lets say it is in the same place as I run powershell from and called PC_List (\\PC1\D$\Scripts\PC_List.txt). I assume I use the get-content command here?

My second questions is how can I make a log of the successful changes and unsuccessful ones? When copying files via my batch scripts if a file copies without issues it would write the PC name in a .txt file callesd success and if there were any errors it would write the PC name in a .txt called fail. Something like this would be very useful again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary

by DonJ at 2012-08-28 08:49:21

So, something like this:

$computers = Get-Content "computernames.txt"
    foreach ($computer in $computers) {
    # $computer has a computer name - use it in your UNC
    # e.g., $unc = "\\$computer\d$\whatever\folder\name"
    }

In terms of catching errors.

Try {
    Set-ACL "whatever" -ErrorAction Stop
    } catch {
    # log the error here - use Out-File to write to a log file, for example.
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.