Change keywords in txt file with names taken from a txt file

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Change keywords in txt file with names taken from a txt file

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 4

Hi guys. As the title says i’m trying to alter text in a .txt file with names taken from another .txt file.  I have zero experience using powershell but so far this is what i’m doing.

I’m gathering the names of folders in a directory and outputting to a .txt file like this

Get-ChildItem .\myfolder\ | ForEach-Object { $_.Name } > .\names.txt

And then I want to search for keywords in another .txt file called placeholder.txt and replace keywords  (TEST-1, TEST-2, etc) with the names of the folders in names.txt. I think I want to do something like this

$filename = Get-Content “.\placeholder.txt”
      $Keys = @(“TEST-1″,”TEST-2″,”TEST-3… TEST-50, etc.”)
      ForEach ($Key in $Keys) {

}

But I don’t know where to go from here and how to make the script read from the names.txt file and then find and replace the keywords.

Is there some way I can do this?

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 81
      Helping Hand

How will you match up a keyword with a folder name, i.e. what folder does TEST-1 match?

Participant

I thought the first name in the names.txt file would be matched with the first keyword but it’s not really important to match them, only that each keyword is replaced by one folder name.

Participant
      Helping Hand

You can do something like the following:

The idea is you have the same number of folders, keys, and items in placeholder.txt. To make things easier, you can convert all of those contents to arrays and access the same index from each array as you iterate.

The idea is that

Participant

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion but nothing changes in placeholder.txt. I’m not sure what -directory -name is for? Also my placeholder.txt file doesn’t have folders, only keywords (test-1, test-2 etc) which I want to replace and sometimes there will be more keywords than names in the names.txt file.

I found this answer

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23863334/powershell-search-from-a-file-replace-into-another-file

But it has errors and I don’t know how to fix them and it gives another problem of how to populate the names.txt file in this format:

Test-1 replacement1
      Test-2 replacement2

With the output from

Get-ChildItem .\myfolder\ | ForEach-Object { $_.Name } > .\names.txt

Where replacement1 is name of the folders in .\myfolder\

Participant
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 568
      Helping Hand

Here play with this. It may be helpful.

Participant
      Helping Hand

Try the following:

Get-ChildItem -Directory parameter only returns directories and skips files. The -Name parameter only returns the Name attribute of each item. So there is no need to use Foreach-Object { $_.Name }. If you are creating names.txt with this code, I don’t see why you cannot just store the Get-ChildItem results in a variable.

The for loop will continue to loop through all items in the placeholder.txt file. Using the modulus operator %, we can conceivably iterate $i to its [int32] limit and still stay within the index range of the given arrays.

Participant

I think that I have explained what I am trying to do poorly. I have a HTML template (placeholder.txt) which has a whole bunch of placeholder/keywords (TEST-1, TEST-2, TEST-3..TEST-50 etc) which I can find and replace with the name of a folder.

This script does almost exactly what I want to do but I have to manually change “TEST-1” and “EXAMPLE” for each folder in .\myfolder\ and run it multiple times

(Get-Content -Path .\placeholder.txt) |
      ForEach-Object {$_ -Replace ‘TEST-1’, ‘EXAMPLE’} |
      Set-Content -Path .\placeholder.txt

I just want to read the names of the folders and then find/replace all instances of one of the placeholders/keywords starting with Test-1 and then Test-2 etc in the template with the name of a folder.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Franke40.
      • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Franke40.
      Participant
      Helping Hand

Based on your new information, you could do the following:

Participant

Thank you so much! This works perfectly and will save me so much time 🙂

Participant
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 568
      Helping Hand

Yes it’s generally a good idea to include pertinent details.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.